« ✑ » Chapter 5 - The Ex

As (Y/n) walked down the hall with Die the band's music grew louder the closer they came to the main door. There was light pouring into the darkened hallway, making the ballroom seem as though it were glowing.

(Y/n) felt a little nervous still but grew more confident as each second passed thanks to Die's spell. Perhaps she would be able to make it through the evening after all.

There was still a line of people that were slowly being allowed inside but Die lead (Y/n) straight past them and towards the main door. As they passed, (Y/n) noticed each and every demon wrinkle their nose in a mixture of disgust and confusion before a wave of murmurs began to follow them as they walked. (Y/n) felt a nervous spike again- they hadn't even entered the room yet!

"Just ignore them," Die reassured her, staring directly ahead. (Y/n) stopped herself from paying attention to the line.

As they walked through the doors finally (Y/n) had to squint her eyes from the sudden change in brightness.

The last she had briefly seen of this room it was much smaller and busy collecting dust, piles of furniture stacked neatly and draped in white cloth to protect them from age. But now it had been transformed into a humongous, beautifully bright and open space occupied by hundreds of people- demons, (Y/n) reminded herself. The edges of the room were lined with rows of circular tables, enough to seat every person in the room.

This was by far the biggest room in the entire castle, and it did not exist without an event to occupy it. The magic of it truly amazed (Y/n) still- Die had once explained to her how he and Dark used their daegicae to transform the room to its size, and then after the event they would transform it back to a comparatively minuscule space. It was something of great whimsy, a room that remained small from the outside but could be charmed to hold a far greater capacity on the inside.

(Y/n)'s attention was redirected when Die suddenly pulled her in a different direction, and she saw Dark ahead of them welcoming guests. He was wearing a white suit and bowtie with a black undershirt. He looked tired and as though he was only being polite to keep up appearances.

The moment he saw (Y/n), though, Dark's expression immediately lit up tenfold- she even noticed that his aura seemed to spike with excitement upon seeing her. He looked to be consumed in wonderment before being snapped back into the moment by a man who was trying to speak with him. Dark said something short in response before turning and making his way towards where (Y/n) and Die were. Die promptly nodded to (Y/n) before taking his leave.

"(Y/n), amica mea, you look absolutely angelic," Dark exclaimed, taking both of her hands in his. "As you always do, my dear."

"So do you, my love," (Y/n) responded bashfully.

"I was afraid you weren't going to show up, is everything alright?" He asked after a moment.

"Ah, just cold feet I guess," she said. "I'm alright now, though."

Dark looked as though he was going to speak when suddenly someone called out to him. They both turned and saw a man with a completely red complexion approaching.

"Ulric, how are you?" Dark greeted him, and the man bowed for a moment.

"Fantastic, and you, my king?"

"I am well, thank you. Please, allow me to introduce you to my partner, (Y/n)."

The man took a moment before he bowed to her as well. "It's a pleasure, your... eminence," he muttered after a moment.

Not sure what else to do (Y/n) picked up her dress and curtsied. "Please, the pleasure is all mine," she replied stiffly.

Dark exchanged a few more words with the man before he moved on, leaving (Y/n) and Dark by themselves again. As she watched the man leave her eye was caught by a wallflower standing at the edge of the room.