« ✑ » Chapter 10 - The Return

"I-I... I don't understand," Die stuttered, putting a hand to his head as if to steady himself.

"It's okay, Die," (Y/n) put a comforting hand on his arm.

"Yeah, not every spell's a winner," Anti agreed, leaning against the hallway wall.

"That's just it, though," Die walked into the library before he began drawing various runes and sigils in the air. "The seal is... completely fine. I have performed countless maintenance spells and the rune was fully functional at the time of the break in- both times."

"You think it was the same person twice?" (Y/n) asked.

"They smelled the same," Anti chimed in quietly as he ambled into the room with them.

"I'd say it is very likely," Die continued. "Though I am still completely unsure of how they managed to bewitch the seal." He placed his hand on the side of a shelf thoughtfully.

"Could they have used some kind of daegicae?" (Y/n) asked.

"That is... much less likely," Die replied. "Especially since Anti is so adamant that they were human. Let alone the fact that this is a very advanced hypothetical spell."

"Their scent wasn't completely human," Anti reminded him. "I dunno, maybe they're workin' with a demon?"

"And maybe that demon was able to cast something that combatted your seal?" (Y/n) said. "Because we definitely saw your spell working last night- it stopped all the guards from entering the library to catch the thief."

"Hmm..." Die rested his head on his hand for a moment while he thought.

"H-How come Anti was allowed into the room if I'm here?" Came a small voice. (Y/n) and Die turned to see that Anti had allowed Seán to front suddenly.

"Because you technically count as part of Anti- since you both share a body, I suppose," Die replied. "It would have helped that he was in control, too. You do not technically count as a separate entity to the seal."

"Could it have been a demon that went through Anima Verto, then?" (Y/n) exclaimed suddenly. "And the demon was in control during the break-in?"

Anti began to front again. "What? No, that's two completely different scents. There's no fuckin' way that the thief is a demon who's gone through Anima Verto," he replied.

Die sighed. "I suppose I had better inform Dark of what we know."

"I'll come with you," (Y/n) stated much more than offered, and Die nodded his head before making his way to the door.

(Y/n) followed him but stopped beside Anti on her way out, placing a hand on his arm. "Anti, thank you for being kind to Seán. We both appreciate it."

He shook off her hand. "Yeah, well, that talk Die and Rurik had with us kinda helped. They both make too much sense, sometimes," Anti grumbled. "I'm not happy about giving up control, but if Rev can manage it I don't see why I can't."

"Thank you," (Y/n) said again, offering him a smile. Anti crossed his arms over his chest and pretended to brush her off but (Y/n) knew he was just embarrassed.

"(Y/n)? Are you coming?" Die called from the hallway.

"Yeah," she called back, turning away from Anti and leaving the room finally.

⸻⸻⸻⸻

Die knocked on the door to Dark's office and it promptly opened itself, revealing Dark sitting behind his desk with one hand raised to open the door. "Good morning, Die."

"And to you, my king," Die began, both he and (Y/n) walking into the room. "I performed a maintenance spell on the library's seal and was confused to find that it is in perfect working order. The guards were not able to enter the room last night, either, so there is currently no way to explain how the culprit has broken in- again. Anti emplored me to mention the fact that, in his opinion, they 'smelled weird'. He described it more specifically as 'a human scent wrapped in a demon's'."