Ch.2 A glimpse of you

*Calcutta*
After 2 weeks of sailing, the ship finally halted at the Calcutta port. Anirudh got off the ship, feeling mixed emotions. He was visiting his homeland after so long. 

It was night time and he thought that he won't be able to get any transportation. But suddenly, a Tonga driver came up to him and said,"Babusaheb, kaha chalenge ? Hum chhod dete hein. Laiye apna samaan de dijiye."

The man took the luggage from Anirudh and went towards the tonga. Anirudh followed him. "Kaka, Tulsipur jaana hain."

Anirudh sat in the tonga and they started on their journey. Anirudh figured out they would reach by tomorrow afternoon or evening. So he thought of getting some rest. Drifting into a slight slumber, Anirudh dreamt about the graduation party. How the foreigner had put accusations on his country, which were nothing but harsh truths. How he felt helpless. He woke up suddenly from the nightmare to realise that the tonga had come to a stop. He peeped out to see the driver standing ahead on the path.

"Kya hua kaka?", he asked the driver."Babusaheb, hum is raste se aage nahi jaa payenge. Yaha kisi ne kaala jaadoo kar rakha hein. Humpe aur aap pe bura saaya pad jayega.

Hearing this, Anirudh got out to check the matter himself. He saw a plate with sindoor, kalava, a diya and a burnt coconut that was still emitting smoke.

"Kaisa bura saaya kaka. Kuch bhi to nahi h. Ye thaal or diye se kaisa bura saaya."

"Arrey, babusaheb kya keh rahe hein. Yaha kaala jaadu hua hein. Jo iss raste ko paar karega uspe iss kaale jaadoo ka asar ho jayega. Aap chinta mat kariye. Hum apko dusre raaste se le jaate hein. 5 ghante hi to zyaada lagenge."

Now Anirudh was in shock and disbelief at the misconceptions of the man." Hum isi raaste se jaayenge"

"Nahi babusaheb. Aap chinta mat kijiye hum apko samay se pohocha denge. Humare ghar mein patni hein 2 chota bacha hein. Buri nazar humpe lag gyi to kya karenge."

Now anirudh was angry." Ye kya buri nazar, buri nazar laga rakha h. Kuch nahi hota h ye sab. Aap nhi jaayenge n iss raste se. Koi baat nhi main khud chala jaunga.", he shouted. He went to the tonga, took his luggage out ,kicked the coconut and tossed the diya, extinguishing its flame and went ahead.

He walked through the path in the darkness of the night surrounded by huge tall trees on both sides.

On the dark amavasya night, Anirudh could not find any other transportation. But his determination kept him going.

*Morning*

Anirudh was sitting in a tonga dozing off. He walked for almost 2 hours yesterday till he found a tonga.

*Devipur*

The hall of the seth's house is decorated with flowers , garlands adorned on it like a bride. Today is the seth's daughter's marriage. The baarat has arrived and now everyone is waiting for the bride to come to the mandap.

Minutes later, 4 people holding a pidi come up to the mandap. The bride is sitting on the pidi, slowly removing the betel leaves in front of her. As she removes the leaves, the face of a child - an eight or nine year old girl is revealed. She sits next to her groom who is the same age as her father, a year older infact. However, no one in the big hall of the haveli seems bothered by this fact.

Except four people who have disgust and pity for the bride on their face. Although no one can see it. They are draped in black from head to toe, their faces covered in a black mask, hiding in different corners of the room.

They came in early morning, taking advantage of the commotion.