Chapter 1- SOMBER NIGHT

The night was quiet. The wind whistled through the palm trees. The windows were tinted with condensation; the wind was hot, and the air was wet. The orange city lights lit up the area, car headlights flashing off and on. The streets were somewhat busy, a few sirens here and there that could be heard in the distance. The sky was a beautiful charcoal shade, navy blue followed by orange pouring into the horizon. The gray mountains could be seen beyond the city. The atmosphere that day had been somber. The clouds were sorrowful; a round of light tears for hours until everything vanished, and the sun decided to radiate itself into the inner debri of the fog. Though one could only hear sirens and car horns from upon the Arizona canyons, there happened to be a gloomy sound of the city. A sound one cannot determine.

Lia stood in her kitchen around midnight, scanning her fridge for the meal she was about to create. She had just completed filming a video for her YouTube channel. Even in the moment, she was stunned from the fact she had millions of subscribers. She's always wondered how far she'd come; from just hundreds of people knowing her name to millions. She wished she enjoyed the luxury of it all, but everything within her caused her to crave the absence of light. She prefered a high-quality era of life instead. Nothing made her feel joy anymore; nothing except the proclovity of her close friends.

A smile crept along Lia's face, which was soon swept off once she realized the position she was in. Her head had been poked inside the refrigerator for quite a few minutes now, a box of gluten-free noodles in her left hand and Arrabiata Sauce in her right. She cleared her throat, setting the items onto her countertops.

The polished floor beneath her feet was incredibly bleak, which came as a surprise to her from how humid it was outside. Her ankles were tense, thus her heels were the only part of her body holding her up. She had been wearing a red, white, and blue croptop with jean shorts, and she really wished she had on a pair of fuzzy socks. Instead, she managed, opening the box of gluten-free noodles and pouring them into the boiling water.

The main topic on Lia's mind had been Evan Sausage, the man whom she shared a complicated relationship with. The two were off and on, each time shattering Lia's heart even more. She desired a healthy relationship with him, however the two didn't seem perfectly compatible to her. They had beautiful moments together, mostly intimate moments, which she loved with all her heart. On the other hand, there were heart-breaking moments, which seemed to happen more often. The hostile remarks that soon developed into raised voices, which evolved into yelling that broke the sound barrier, followed by a touch of knocking shit over. And everytime these fights broke out, Lia had no choice but to cry. No choice but to scream and cry, and pace around the room like a lunatic before she performed something she'd regret. She'd always known that Evan loved her entirely, but over the years she began to question if he actually cared about her at all.

She leaned onto the countertop, stirring the pot with an exhale. Her eyes made their way towards the window, admiring the beautiful scenery outside, before the admiration was disrupted from confusion because of how light it was outside at the midnight hour. She checked the time on her phone, second-guessing herself before returning her attention to the pot.

As soon as she heard Evan's voice echoing from his room, she dropped the spoon, burying her face in her hands as she leaned against the countertop. She'd spent the whole somber day fighting back waterworks, and she thought she had herself under control. The hot tears formed in her eyes, and an aching sensation brewed in her throat as she tried concealing her muffled cries.

She couldn't break up with him. She just couldn't. Evan was Lia's first love, and she wanted him to be her only love. She cherished everything about him; how could she give him up?

The sky was fading into complete darkness as the night grew. The wind remained hot, but the dampness of dusk became crisp. The city slowly became less busy, and soon there was no glistening in the area left but the city lights. Lia tried to contain herself, wiping the wet tears from her face whilst wishing there was someone out there for her whom she truly loved. A switch came over her.

Lia pouted with bitterness, aggressively turning the knob on the stove off as she grabbed her car keys from the cabinet. She bit her lip in frustration, sliding her feet in her matte sandals as she darted out the door. She purposely slammed the door on her way out, part of her anticipating that Evan would hear her exit. Her poor dogs could be heard from the inside. Usually, she'd develop sympathy for the puppies, but this time the situation was different. Her only concern was getting the hell away. Drifting until her tires became flat in the streets of Arizona.

Lia's garage was pitch-black before she clicked the keys to unlock the car door, which emitted some light. Her headlights flickered, the car beep echoing inside the garage. She stomped down the steps, assertively opening the door and arriving inside the red Chevrolet Corvette. She adjusted the mirrors, checking herself out. She supposed she looked decent, despite the mascara running from her eyes, her puffy face, and uneven eyebrows. She rolled her eyes and shook her head, shoving the key into her car which soon turned on with a roar from the engine. She backed out, her engine purring like a cat high on catnip. The sky was now dark, mixed with whispy ultramarine clouds. Lana Del Rey emerged out of the car speakers, and in her inner core she felt the bass. She put the pedal to the metal, zipping down the streets of Arizona as the windows came down and her credence rose up.

The engine rumbled and whined down the boulevard. God, when she drifted around the city of Pheonix did she feel alive. The hot wind filled all five of her senses. She breathed in and out. She loved the sight, scent, and feel of the mid-July nights. The only downside was the empty passenger seat to her right. She jerked the textured wheel, gliding down the streets as the palm trees above her vanished from the roof window. She had to turn to her friends for comfort. Her friends she truly loved; Chris and Vi.