Chapter 9- RACES, CHUNKOS, FETAL POSITIONS

Exotic cars with molten dreams...fresh-spun with the night sky. That was all that was on the crew's mind as they drove towards the top flat area between the mountains. The roads were becoming more emptier--more raceable--which excited Lia and left a sick feeling in the pit of her stomach. Her eyelids fluttered as she closed her eyes, picturing the sport of what her and her friends liked to call "drifting." And they were moments away from the beauty of it.

Engines' metallic bases grinded; music to everybody's ears. Lia shifted in her seat, opening her eyes as the car swerved into an abandoned lot. Emptied cans scattered along the pavement, which most likely came from the small, stone building hidden by bushes. It was the spot they always drove to when racing. All of her troubles disappeared; they were there at the spot. They would drift.

Before she could cheer herself, she could hear the joyful noises of Kevin, Ranya, and Mariah. Both her and Chris laughed as the car haulted. She ripped her seatbelt off, motioning an ebullient gesture to Chris. He grinned, turning the car off. The two stepped out.

"Don't let your seat get too cold," Chris told her, breathing heavily. He slammed the car door. Lia stared into his dark, soulful eyes, smiling. She certainly wouldn't let her seat get too cold.

"Here's our little spot!" Kevin called, waving his arms. His brown, baggy shirt whirled around from the wind. "Pretty, isn't she?"

"She looks like a grotesque prison camp," Ranya blurted, rubbing her pale arm. Mariah giggled as she shuffled her feet against the ground.

"I think she's perfect!" Mariah declared, her large eyes scanning the area. "A little foul, but it works--and that's all that matters."

"Yeah, I say the same thing about Chris," Lia uttered. Ranya cackled, hitting her vape. Lia could've sworn she had gotten rid of her vape. Both Chris and Kevin rolled their eyes.

"So," Chris started, his hands on his hips. "We ready?"

Lia stepped forward, waving her hands.

"Wait a minute. So we're racing towards the peak by El Chorro?"

Ranya rolled her eyes, flicking her sister on the shoulder.

"Where fucking else?" Ranya remarked. "The conservation site for tourists down by Camelback Mountain? Get a grip."

Kevin laughed, wrapping his arm around Ranya. Her cheeks grew pink, her body freezing. God, even the darkness couldn't hide that blush.

"Someone already has her competitive attitude on," Kevin joked, resting his head on her dark hair. She scrambled out of his arms in annoyance. He ruffled his light-brown hair, watching her move away.

Lia walked over by her sister, who held a sickened expression on her face. She chuckled, patting her on the back. Ranya wasn't as pleased.

"So..." Lia began, tracing her bony finger along Ranya's shirt. "What're the plans after this?"

Kevin's face lit up from the corner of Lia's eye. Her, Chris, Ranya, and Mariah turned their attention towards him.

"I completely forgot to tell you guys," He started, clapping his hands. "I'm hosting a party tonight at my club. You guys should come."

Ranya stepped closer, her face lit with excitement as she hit her vape.

"Why didn't you tell us before?" She asked, socking Kevin in the ribs. "Chico tonto."

Kevin rubbed his side, narrowing his eyes. Mariah patted him on the back.

"I figured you guys knew already. The hell did you think the booze was for?"