Chapter 4- KIDNAPPINGS AND CLUBS

The palm trees swayed from the sweltering wind, the streets busy with civilization. Children of all ages danced along the sidewalk with their families, either holding an icecream cone or their mothers' hand. The sky was a perfect shade of blue; like cotton-candy. Not a cloud had been in the sky. The air smelled of the sea and smoked ribs. Perhaps a touch of sweat.

Chris and Lia drove. They didn't quite know where they were driving, but they knew they weren't heading home. The car's windows were down, the tropical wind filling all five of their senses. The sound of friendly culture was a quarter of what they could hear, George Michael on the radio being the other quarter. The rest was Chris and Lia's nonstop talking.

Part of Lia felt horrible for staying with Chris instead of Vi. After all, Lia invited herself over to their house, spent the night, and drank the coffee she had made for her. The whole situation seemed so illicit. And the worst part of it all was that Vi's own boyfriend didn't seem to care. The car came to a stop at a red light. Two women thanked Chris with a wave, dogtrotting towards the other side of the road. A palm tree above had shaded the car. Lia examined her red, white, and blue croptop she'd been wearing for a day-in-a-half. She didn't know when she'd be going home. She didn't want to go home. Lia knew she couldn't stay away. She needed her dogs, and she knew Evan definitely wouldn't bother helping at all. For all she knew there was probably piss and shit all over her quartz floors. God, she prayed the white couch was still its original color. Evan probably didn't even realize she was gone. The thought reminded her to check her phone to see if he contacted her. Once again, nothing. Lia exhaled, resting her arm on the cup holder.

Chris glanced at her, double taking with one hand on the wheel, his posture incline. He wore a black tanktop with dark, faded jeans; the average criminal in Illinois. His eyes shimmered a chocolate color from the sun, his hair slightly shaggy but textured. "

"Why the sad face?" He asked, his eyes focused onto the empty road ahead as they exited Paradise Valley. Lia, Chris, Vi, Kevin, Ranya, and Mariah often consorted there; they knew the place by heart. However, everything started to seem a tad bit shaky after what had happened that morning. Lia didn't want to think about it.

"What're you talking about?" Lia questioned, avoiding eye contact while she gazed at the earthly mountains and azure-blue sky. She sank in her seat.

"What am I talking about?" Chris peered at her again, his voice shrill. "What do you mean what am I talking about?"

A smile crept on Lia's face, causing her to adjust her hair which covered her grin. She sensed that he was staring. She truly didn't want to mention anything about the whole situation; between what happened that morning and the night before.

Lia shrugged. "I don't know. What do you mean what do you mean what am I--" Chris shushed her, a sharp swerve from the car as he returned his attention to the road. The environment was confidential. There were a few houses here and there, however not a sign of the public. The sun poked out from the corner of a large mountain ahead. Lia squinted as Chris turned the volume knob down.

"You're upset," he stated, rather than asked. Lia flushed.

"No, I'm not."

"Yes, I believe you are."

"Really? Because I believe I'm not."

Chris sniggered, shaking his head. He rolled both windows up as the air conditioner switched on, blowing bleak air in front of Lia. She closed her eyes, silently hoping he'd finally shut the hell up about everything.

They sat in silence for minutes, the harsh air being the only noise audible, and occasionally the turn signal clicks. Lia watched outside the window. The two were in a vacant area that so happened to have a road. Crescote bushes filled almost ever square inch of the hills. A small basin covered a part of the hills, dead cacti surrounding it. The valley was calm, the hills taking expansive breaths all around the two. The area seemed familiar to Lia, however the route was unrecognizable...