Chapter 7- PUPPIES, POPCORN, PHONECALLS

The buttery popcorn tasted like toilet water, though Lia popped more pieces in her mouth as they gathered their tickets. All four of them stood in line impatiently, waiting for the snacks from behind the counter and the rest of their tickets. The theater smelled of carpet and butter; one of Lia's favorite scent combinations.

She clutched the giant bag of popcorn, the warm, greasy paper between her fingers. Ranya walked towards her, resting her hand on Lia's shoulder as she scooped a handful of popcorn into her palm. She heard Chris's sudden wheezing from in front of her, though she was uncertain why he was laughing. Lia shoved the bag of popcorn into Ranya's arms.

"What're you laughing at?" She questioned, a smile creeping along her face. Chris looked downwards at her, laughing heartily, his teeth revealed as he fondled with his wallet. The two made brief eye contact before he shook his head.

"The movie we just got tickets for is for children," Chris told her. "A big 'thank you' to whoever suggested the movie."

"Oh, shut the hell up!" Ranya chiseled in, soon shoving the bag of popcorn into Mariah's arms.

"Acting like you didn't see the bold, red 'PG' listed on the screen. If you wanted to see an infant's movie, just say that."

Chris's smile faded as he held the tickets in his hand.

Why did we bring her again?" He whispered into Lia's ear, who took the bag of popcorn from Mariah's arms.

Before Lia could respond, Ranya scoffed.

"There you go again," Lia's sister sputtered, her eyebrows narrowing. "Seductively whispering in Lia's ear."

Chris rolled his eyes violently, though Lia's face burned. Her face went complete crimson as she turned around to face the lady behind the counter. She thanked her for the tickets, motioning for everybody to follow her without turning her body around.

"You shouldn't say that," Lia heard Mariah whisper to Ranya behind her. "They're not like that."

Ranya's defeated sneer absorbed tightly in the carpet all around them. There was complete silence as they shuffled down the hall. Chris suddenly whistled, which showed he was unbothered by Ranya's remark once again. She wished she didn't care like Chris did. However, he was one of her closest friends. It was odd to say such things, regardless of if it was a joke or not. It was especially weird when Chris had a girlfriend.

The dark hall smelled of sweet soda and nacho dressing. The air was muggy, which didn't aid the sweat that formed onto her body from being outside. She wiped her moist forehead with the back of her hand, licking away the sweat around her mouth. It had a salty taste, making Lia wince.

"A Puppie's Superhero Tale?" Ranya annunciated in annoyance, examing the board that showed the movie name. Lia looked up at it, rolling her eyes as all three of them turned their gaze to Chris. The grip he had on his bag of popcorn tightened.

"It didn't sound like a children's movie, alright?" He defended, his voice squeaking.

"Yeah, you're right," Lia spoke. "I would've assumed by the title that there'd be blood, gore and sex."

Ranya cackled, followed by Mariah.

"Just go," Chris's large hand motioned to the door as he held it open for the women. "Go inside." The room was even darker, and luckily more bleak. The movie's bright glare blinded Lia, whom covered her eyes with one hand as she made her way up the stairs. Peeking from her hand, she noticed the chairs were filled with children that couldn't have been over five-years-old. She looked away in embarrassment, feeling the sticky floor under her sandals.