𝟎𝟗

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐍𝐄𝐗𝐓 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓;  𝟖  :  𝟒 𝟖   𝐏   𝐌

𝐋𝐎𝐒 𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐒

𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴 the two could of asked for and more. they'd dress nicely — admiringly too nice, but it didn't weigh upon them. Matts eyes couldn't look elsewhere. y / n managed to make herself more breathtaking than usual, and he immediately put himself through all five stages of grief upon realizing how completely out of his league she was.

despite both the nerves, they found themselves laughing and engaging in the conversation as they ate their meal, the nerves dissipated as the end of the date approaching, resulting in matt asking for the check.

as they walked towards the car, matt exhaled laughter "— literally that whole night, I got to watch some hipster barista named Ryan, flirt with you as we were on a date!" Matt laughed hysterically; locking arms with y / n as they approached the car. Matt loved telling her the story of their first date and y / n never grew tired of hearing it. "Matt, i'm almost certain hipsters don't exist anymore."

"explain Ryan, then."

"he was a sweetheart! he was totally a fan of yours, he was probably just trying to start something."

Matt nearly rolled his eyes, a chuckle emitting past his lips, fumbling with the keys in his hand, unlocking his car. "are you forgetting he snubbed me?" he said as they both entered the car, turning the heat on immediately.

"I would too."

"listen y / n, it's either me or Ryan. you can't have us both."

"you're so dramatic, I hate you."

Matt grinned, his eyebrow perking slightly as he pulled out of the parking lot. "I can take you home if you want or —"

"you can stay the night at my place if you want." she said with hesitation, fearing rejection. "nah, im good." Matt said with mockery referring back to how she responded to him the previous night, an exhaled laugh escaped her lips and she loomed at Matt, "God, youre the worst, but anyways — thank you for dinner, Matty."

"I've missed that."

"what? going out to dinner?"

"oh, yes. i've been famished."  his sarcasm was playful, and earned a giggle from the girl beside him. "no — I've missed hearing you call me Matty, ultimately i've missed you. so much."

"really?"  her hand went to tug at his bicep — resting her elbow against the console,

"really."

her hand traveled from the top of his arm down toward his hand, intertwining their fingers. Matts hand delicately squeezed hers, his thumb contiuting to slowly trail back and forth over her skin, just the fact she hugged against his arm made him weak beyond words; it was inexplicable, this feeling. Matt felt as if he could take on the entire off just this feeling alone.

"well, i've missed you just as much, if not more. I really hated how things ended; it felt like a wound that would never heal. it just kept bleeding over through all the bandaids I put on it."

Matt nodded slightly, "that Blake brand of bandaids kinda sucked though."

y / n swore her eyes would get stuck in the back of her head if she kept rolling them to Matts jocular remarks. "as if you had any better."

"hey, thats not fair. I was too busy squeezing lemons into my wound — I barely gave any brand of bandaids a try."

although it was a self - deprecating joke, y / n found it hard to not find it humorous, especially knowing how hard it likely was for him — let alone her. she never liked to imagine what Matt had done the day she left — she never liked to reminisce on what she had done afterwards, either. her head lowered, as they approached her apartment, pulling into the parking garage. as they both got out of the car, Matt questioned the girl, "did you tell him those things." she looked up at him I confusion as they linked arms walking to her front door. "what do you mean?"

he seemed uncomfortable questioning it, as if he was forcing to ask the questions just to find the answers he didn't want to hear — like he was punishing himself. ".....that im your shitty ex, I used you, I was just looking for more notches in my bedpost." hearing himself speaking those out loud — bringing life to them was just enough for Matts stomach to turn, making him feel ill. he felt as if he was conjuring some truth behind them. manifesting them. he hated how often they replayed in his mind, even after weeks of them being said.

y / n was quick to halt, walking into her apartment, she loosened the grip on matts arm to face him. she radiated pure concern, "don't ever say anything like that again, Matt."

"how else —"

"no, enough. i'm sorry for what was said, and I know it hurt you. I cannot begin to express how gut-wrenching it felt to watch your face as he said those things — I can't imagine how it effected you."

Matt, although obviously uncomfortable with the topic he brought upon himself, kept a loose grip hold on her hand, "but you were the one who painted me that way, right? or was he —"

"no! — no, I was just angry and when he started talking about ex's, I just mentioned mine as well. I didn't mean anything I had said. I never said you used me or for lousy hookups, even though I tried my hardest to hate you, id never stoop that low, Matthew. I don't know why he said or thought that about you, I am sorry, truly."

y / n was already reaching the back of her hand to rub her fingers through Matts hair — to ease the tension, she kissed his lips gently. oh, how he was a fool. any words or just the feeling of her lips against his was enough to make any previous doubts he had been brewing — made him out to be a fool, for her .

everything about y / n, mattered so much to him — even her opinions. Matt, admitingly couldn't give two fucks about what Blake had said, let alone thought about him, the only thing that weighed heavily against his chest. as abrasive as it was, Matt wanted to be the best version of himself solely for her and only her.
his bottom lip curled between his teeth after they pulled apart, her apologetic disposition eating away at him, communication was always the easiest with her, yet he pondered why he had to make it so hard.

Matt shifted his weight on his feet, eventually speaking up, "but you did say I was a sellout?"

"yeah, I did call you a sellout."

Matts head promptly fell backwards as his free hand covered his face, trying his hardest not to laugh, yet failing.

"that's so fucking funny."

he muffled a laugh in the hand over his mouth. "stop, Matt. it was really mean of me and i'm really sorry."

"it's the cutest insult ever."

"i made fun of your career!"

he looked at her now, a reassuring grin forming along his lips.

"baby, everyone does."

y / n's features were painted a similar color to the rosé they'd indulged in earlier, unaware of how Matt's low chuckle and use of words effected her. she nearly stammered over her own words. "that doesn't make it okay.

his hand had released hers, and instead moved to cup her face while he drew her in closer to his frame.

"i don't think i ever fell out of love with you, Matt."

his grin was wide while he was already closing the remaining distance between them, making sure to add in, "now i know i didn't," before connecting their lips just as he had just a week prior - this time free of guilt, or pain, or sadness.