A Short Digression (or, Singlish Si Beh Tok Kong, Sia!)

Lani and Lyssia were Singaporean. Lani had Chinese parents and Lyssia was mixed with a Malay mum and Chinese dad. Lani had an annoying sister. Lyssia had two annoying brothers. They were both in the GEP.

This chapter is devoted to their discovery of their awesome talent, their reaction, how they kept it from their parents, and most importantly, the Singlish. Oh, yes, yes, that wonderful mix of English, Hokkien, Cantonese, Malay, random, made - up words, and lots of stuff in general.

P.S. If I forgot to say, this story is for 12 and above. Fine, 11 and above. No more. I would prefer for other innocent, kind children to stay that way... at least until P6. Then you guys can go crazy. In a good way. Thanks for bearing with this terribly long author's note, and for reading my book. Thank you, all, thank you. *bows, then falls to the floor*

Lyssia had already started to pack her bag even before the bell rang. Sweeping her worksheets and file into her arms, she tried unsuccessfully to stuff everything into her tiny bag. With quite a bit of effort and some mild swear words, she managed to zip it up. She sighed as she stared at the bulging backpack, which was looking for all the world like one of those snakes that had eaten a goat - or a very fat person. Zipping the bag is half the battle - another few wise words. Very wise words, because Lyssia spent five more minutes heaving the bag off the floor (onto the chair), off the chair (onto the table), then at last onto her (very, very skinny) shoulders. She looked up and glared at her ever- present BFF Lani.

=^● ⋏ ●^=

Lani, totally engrossed in her fab book, didn't look up as Lyssia stomped angrily towards her. She only looked up when Lyssia whacked her on the arm. "Ow! What was that for?" Lyssia huffed. "Why you never help me with my bag? You know I damn skinny one, still stand down there using eye power, you very bad friend hor!" Lani laughed, making Lyssia laugh too. "You skinny until cannot carry your bag, but can hit people right?" Lyssia smiled. "OK, lah, whatever." The two friends walked off, oblivious of the fact that they were being watched.

"What language are they even speaking?" Max hissed irritably, crouched behind a pillar. "It hardly sounds like proper, elegant British English!"

Maia smacked him. "Well, it sounds cool, not like you. You sound idiotic. I told you, stop with the accent. You're not even freaking British." She stood up and scampered after the pair, now both bent over books as they walked. "How do they do that?" she exclaimed as the girls maneuvered around a passing teacher without taking their eyes off their books. "Well, they're the ones, all right. I can see their auras. A nice cyan and turquoise." Max reappeared at Maia's side. She replied, "Why didn't you say so? What are you waiting for? Let's get them!"

She took off, leaving Max lumbering in her wake.

=^● ⋏ ●^=

To say that Lani and Lyssia were shocked when the tall, tanned girl (and her fat, pale brother) approached them and, uh, conducted the little matter of offering them to be recruited to the team of the most awesome Dark fighters ever, is an incredible understatement.

Thus, Maia and Max found out two things:

1. Recruiting is a hard, hard job.

2. Singapore English exists.

And 3. Singaporeans are prone to using copious amounts of Singlish when they are in a state of shock.

"Wah lau, you siao ah? You think we fall for that one? Buay sai!" Lani blurted out, glaring at the siblings. "Wah lan eh, why everyone liddat one? Must be damn bo liao one! Everywhere also got people scamming us, we call police then you kena sai already!" Lyssia added.

Maia and Max stood stunned for a moment, then ran after the girls. "I'm sorry, but it's real, I'll show you..." She made sure no one was around, then closed her eyes and concentrated. Suddenly, Lani's book lifted out of her hands. The girls stared, open-mouthed, as it floated over to Maia whose brows were furrowed. She opened her eyes and neatly caught the book as it started to fall. "Are you alright, now? Please come with us, we will explain in detail later." Max put on his accent again.

Lyssia whispered, "Wah lau, he talk liddat, beh tah han sia." Lani stifled a giggle and commented, "I'm surprised no one actually video you doing that just now leh. Singaporeans very kaypoh one, must be careful when doing things like this."

Max looked uncertainly from one girl to another. "What do those, uh, quaint little words mean?"

Suddenly, Lyssia gasped. "HOW ARE WE GOING TO TELL OUR PARENTS?????" Lani stared at her. "Wah, you so random one, why you suddenly say liddat?"

=^● ⋏ ●^= 

When Maia and Max had calmed the girls down, they explained that the Academy would pose as a specialised school for exceptionally gifted children, and allowed free weekly visits back home. 

Author's note: Will finish this l8r. Am doing this in sch com lab. End of period now. Need 2 go. Bye see u guys later. Pusheen forever.

The two girls were greatly relieved, to say the least.