Six

Taylor's POV:

I was called in to cover a coworkers night shift, so I got off at nine-thirty. The sad thing was when I tried to start the car to drive here and it wouldn't even turn over. So, I had to walk to work since Scarlett was out shopping.

I looked out the window, seeing rain pour down from the dark sky. The walk home ought to be fun.

"Thank you for coming in. I really appreciate it and I know Laura does too." Rob said, handing me my tips for the night. I smiled feeling the paper in my hand.

"Anytime. You know I'm always available." I took off my apron and draped it over my shoulder. I then shoved the cash into my pocket, getting a good feeling that I earned more money than I expected to this week.

Rob's son, Oliver, came out from the kitchen with his car keys in his hand. "I don't mind giving you a ride home." I looked back out the window and saw lightning strike.

"Yeah I would really appreciate that." I smiled. His lips curved, showing his pearly whites.

Just as I went to grab my bag, Rob spoke up. "What's Ms. Madison doing here?" He pointed behind me, making me turn around. Scarlett was running towards the door not even having anything to protect her from the rain. I watched Rob walk up and unlock the door, allowing her in. "Ms. Madison, how are you?"

Like I've mentioned before, it's a small town, you stick around long enough you eventually get to know everyone.

She walked in, rain dripping from her nose. "A little wet." Scarlett said, her eyes darting between Oliver and I. "I came to pick you up." She directly looked at me and all I could do was stare at her as she stood there dripping wet. Her shirt clung to her body, showing every feature she had. "I saw your text saying the car wouldn't start and I didn't want you walking home."

Rob broke the silence since apparently I couldn't speak. "Well, she just clocked out. So she's all yours." He slapped my back gently and kindly, throwing a wink my way.

Oliver looked disappointed, "Hopefully you can take me up on that ride another time. Offers always on the table." I smiled kindly his way, thanking him.

"You ladies have a safe night." Rob ushered us out the door and we both stood under the awning.

"You came to get me but couldn't bring an umbrella?" I poked fun at her.

"I have been busy." was all she said, "Ready?" I nodded my head and we both bolted to the car. I shut the door, water dripping everywhere. "Buckle up."

The ride back to the house was short and silent, except for the sound of the rain hitting the car. She parked in the garage and I was just thankful to not get wet again.

I was about to head downstairs but Scarlett called for me. "Your dinner is in the microwave. May need to be heated up before you eat it."

"Thank you" I smiled. She nodded her head and retreated to her room.

She felt so short with me and I didn't know why. I felt like I had done something wrong.

I went down to Kaylee's room and took a shower. It felt so nice to be out of those wet clothes and finally under hot water.

As I was washing my hair, my thoughts wandered off to Scarlett. I wondered what she had been doing all day and why she was so short with me.

Maybe I did something wrong?

Maybe yesterday was too weird for her...

Whatever it was, it made me kind of sad and I didn't know why.