Nine

Taylor's POV:

"After this table, I'll take you home." Oliver flashed his crooked smile, making me smile back.

"Take your time." I sat at the booth and counted my tips for the day. I didn't do so bad for a morning shift.

Since Kaylee's car is in the shop, she is using the car her mom lend me. I walked to work this morning before anyone else was awake but it was nice - I enjoyed the alone time.

I smiled to myself, looking at the money I had made in just one shift. "Lot of money." Quickly my smile faded.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, not even looking her way as I collected the bills and shoved them into my bag for safety. "You know the bars aren't open for another two hours."

She sat down across from me giving me no choice but to look at her. "When are you coming home, Taylor?"

I leaned against the booth, taking a good look at my mother. She looked the exact same from when I had last saw her, but this time she looked sober. "I'm not. I'm living with Kaylee until I can move out on my own."

She laughed mockingly, then leaned in so nobody could hear. "You know you will never amount to anything Taylor. You are who you are and you will never be anything more."

"Ready to go?" Oliver came out of the kitchen his smile dropping when he saw the seriousness on my face.

I looked to him and smiled, "I am." I turned back to my mother, "See you around." Grabbing my belongings, I scooted out the booth, "Hopefully not." I whispered under my breath.

The ride to the house was quiet except for the music that played through his Jeep speakers. I think he knew something happened but he wasn't going to press. Oliver pulled into the drive way and threw the car in park, looking over at me. "You know I can tell my dad that she isn't welcome at the café."

"It's okay, Oliver." I grabbed my bag from the floor board and threw him a reassuring smile. "I really appreciate you giving me rides. I don't mind walking but after working an eight my legs hurt."

"That's what I'm here for." He reached over and popped the door handle open for me, "It's an old Jeep, it gets stuck sometimes."

"Be safe getting home." I watched him as he waved before backing out the driveway and leaving the empty street. I walked into the house and placed my bag down. I didn't even care to say hello if anyone was even home, my body hurt and I needed sleep. I fell over the sofa and laid comfortably on it, letting out a sigh. Before I knew it my eyes were heavy and I had drifted off to sleep.

— — —

I heard the door to the garage shut which brought me out of my slumber. "I'll let Taylor know but it's a birthday surprise for Kaylee." Scarlett's voice was heard from the mud room. "Yeah, I'll be back in the office tomorrow but I need you to book the flights. Thank you, bye-bye."

I closed my eyes again, groaning due to the sun beaming right in my face. I knew whatever that woman was talking about she would tell me, but I didn't care right now. All I cared about was rest.

I was almost asleep again when I felt something fuzzy be laid across my body, which made me peek with one eye.

Scarlett was standing with her back to me closing the curtains so the sun was out of my eyes. She turned around and I quickly closed my them acting as if I was asleep. My hair was brushed off my face and her hand trailed softly down my cheek. Goosebumps appeared immediately across my forearm. I heard her chuckle quietly to herself.

I pretended to stir in my sleep, slowly opening my eyes, immediately meeting hers. "Were you watching me sleep?" I teased.

"You wish. I just got home." She stood from her crouched position and began tidying up the living room. I just watched her. "I can feel your eyes on me."

I sat up and slouched further into the couch. "I'm just sitting here." I shrugged. I watched her as she bent down and picked up a pillow that fell on the floor. Scarlett turned around and threw it at me, catching me completely off guard because I was definitely staring at her ass in those pants. "Hey!"

"Get your head out the gutter." She started to walk by me, but I grabbed her hand, stopping her. "Taylor..." she looked down at our hands.

"We haven't had that talk...remember?" I asked.

"Not now. Please." She sighed. We both heard the front door slam shut.

"Ugh! Being in college fucking sucks!" Kaylee yelled through the house. Immediately, Scarlett dropped my hand. Kaylee appeared in front of us with a distressed look. "Hey you guys."

Scarlett was quick to be back on her feet. "Baby, what's wrong?" She wrapped Kaylee in a hug, standing taller than her daughter in the heels she was wearing.

She released her mother from the hug and fell onto the couch beside me, putting her legs over my lap. "What's going on?" I asked.

"I failed an exam today and it dropped me a letter grade. Not that serious but I just wanted to be dramatic and complain to you two." What Kaylee said made me shake my head.

"You're smart - you'll bring it back up in no time." I patted her leg in encouragement and her mother agreed with me.

"So while I have you both here" Scarlett sat down on the chair across from the couch and took her heels off. "I'll be out of town next week for a conference."

"You tell us as if we're teenagers and still in high school." Kaylee laughed.

"I just want you two to be in the know. No need for the sass, Miss Attitude."

I smiled at Scarlett, "Well... I appreciate it."

"Suck up." Kaylee mumbled under her breath as she looked away from me.

Oh, she has no idea.

"Wait..." Kaylee whined, "Mom, my birthday is next week. Are you gonna be here for that?"

"I'm sorry baby, I don't think I will be."

Scarlett's POV:

The girls had gone off to their rooms after they ate dinner and I was alone in my office looking at the cruise I booked for all of us to celebrate Kaylee's birthday.

Last year I went out of town for an actual work trip so this year I'm making it up to her and taking us all on a cruise, but I lied to her and told her I couldn't be here - just to throw her off.

There was a soft and quiet knock at the door. "Come in." I was too busy staring at my computer to notice that it was Taylor that walked in.

"What are you doing?" Her voice pulled my attention away from the screen. She had obviously just gotten out the shower, wearing her hair damp.

"I'm planning a vacation for Kay's birthday." I said, pulling my eyes away from her and back to the computer. I closed out the window and put my attention back on her. "I wanted to talk to you about it actually." Taylor came around next to me and leaned against my wooden desk. "Um, I told her I'd be out of town but really I was just trying to throw her off. We're leaving Friday and will be back the following Friday." It seemed as if Taylor wasn't even listening to me. I mean, she was looking at me but it's like she was looking right through me.

"Yeah, okay." She said, smiling as she looked down at her feet. "Sounds a lot of fun."

"Taylor..." I started off, trying to find the right words to even say to her. "I opened up my home to you because I care about you and I want you safe." I rested my elbows on the desk and put my head in my hands. "I've known you since you were a teenager, Taylor. Nothing can go any further."

I looked up to her and she just nodded her head. "Alright, I understand." Her eyes scanned my face. "Goodnight Scarlett." Then she left without another word.

Leaning back in my chair, I let out a sigh. It's no lie that I have some kind of attraction towards her, but I will not hurt my daughter over this.

Little did I know I was gonna end up hurting myself instead....