|Chapter 10| Hurts... Doesn't it?

They first appeared over a hundred years ago, giant humanoid creatures with the taste for our blood. The brute strength of these apparitions trumped an average person's many times over, we were shoved to the brink of extinction almost over night. The survives erected Walls Maria, Rose and Sina, withdrawing behind them in frightened huddles for what was to be a century of uneasy peace. In the year 845, two terrifying new breeds of Titan appeared, the colossal and the armoured, barreling through the outer walls as if wholesale destruction was child's play. The territory couched within the circle of Wall Maria was abandoned, 20% of the human race perished, as the Titan assault advanced the only choice was to withdraw behind Wall Rose. In the year 850, the colossal appeared once again, breaching the wall bordering Trost before disappearing, the Titans flooded in through the broken gate.

Two hours later, evacuation of the entire populous was complete. As a result, no civilians were lost to the Titans, the same can not be said for the countless soldiers who perished, buying the people time.

"Elen, as long as you're apart of my life, I can fight to the bitter end."

____

The sound of heavy thumping surrounded the area as we now view what is happening within HQ.

"Captain please wait! There's only a handful of us left, sir. If the Titans attack were to attack here before us, we won't have a chance in hell to hold them off." A cadet argued with one of the military police captains. "Please sir, we need you here." Another pleaded though they got what they weren't hoping for. "Out of my way soldier, we have to keep going. My expertise is needed to help direct the reinforcements." Their captain replied, and judging by the look on his face, even he knew it was a lie. "Behind the safety of the inner gate, am I right?" The third cadet added.

"Just what the hell are you implying? They need my help reorganizing, or would you rather us be overwhelmed by this logistical nightmare!" "But sir! If we lose those supplies–" "That's enough!" The older male lost it and held out his blade towards them. "Question my orders again or delay me of my duties and I'll run your treasons high straight through!"

...

The familiar whizzing sound was dormant among the rain as a figure latched onto a ledge before propelling themselves onto the top of the building.

Mikasa looked around, noticing the nearby scouts standing put. 'Why isn't anyone going over the wall? They must've heard the withdraw signal.' Just then, in her peripheral view something caught her eye, it was the supply tower. No one came out to supply the others.

"Hey Jean, what are we gonna do?" Connie questioned the long faced male who sat hunched over looking down. "We can't do anything." He looked back up and held his head. "Finally gave us the order to withdraw, and we were all out of gas of course. I can't believe this is how it's gonna end, all because of those damned cowards." "You mean the supply depot? What is going on? Where are they?" Connie raised his voice, getting a little agitated.

"They all lost their will to fight and I can understand why, but they abandoned their duties to supply us, barricading themselves in HQ and of course Titans have swarmed the place which means we can't get the gas ourselves." Jean added, slowly losing his will too. "Then why are we waiting? We gotta go, start thinning their numbers so we have a chance. Sitting here on this roof is totally pointless, eventually the Titans are gonna come for us." Connie argued while Jean kept staring at him. "We don't have much gas left. We'll just waste what little we got if we try to run and without our mobility we'll completely screwed." He finished as he tapped the hollow canister.

"You're using your head for once Connie, nice going. But I'm just not sure we got the numbers needed to pull this thing off, the veterans and the vanguard force have all been killed. How exactly do a bunch of rookies pull off a suicide mission like this? I mean, let's assume half of our force even survive our initial assault. Then what? The supply room is probably crawling with Titans in the three or four metre range, I don't see us accomplishing much in there."