|Chapter 11| Tears

In the year 850, the Colossal Titan again appeared and decimated yet another barrier between us and them. Once more, mankind retreated in panic in the advance of its greatest foe. Brave soul after brave soul perished, eaten alive.

"Elen, no!"

Elen herself fell prey to their hunger.

"Woah, Mikasa's a badass. How is she going so fast?"

'No, she's just taking up too much gas.'

'I'll do whatever it takes to win, whatever it takes to live.'

Just when things seemed their darkest for Mikasa, out of nowhere came the unlikeliest of allies.

...

...

"But, I mean, Titans are everywhere." Armin argued, trying to convince Mikasa of leaving her behind. "You can't jump and carry me on your back at the same time."

"Come on let's move." Connie interrupted, grabbing Armin as they ran towards the edge ready to jump. 'Please, don't do this. It's not going to work, enough people have died on my count. No!" Armin yelled focusing on the Titan's cry. "Hold on, I've got an idea." "What is it then?" Connie asked, his nerves still not settling.

"Only you two are capable of pulling this off, so it's really your choice. This may sound crazy, but I think he might be useful." Referring to Titan that was seemingly staring at the sky in its feels. "Wait you mean the Titan?" "He only attacks his own kind, he seems to have no interest in us. What if, we could somehow steer him to HQ and let him loose on the other Titans? Look, we know he's taking at least one out already, we can use him as a weapon." Laying out her plan to recapture headquarters. "You've got to be kidding, how the hell do you suppose we steer that thing?" Connie added as they turned their attention to the Titan.

"Something tells me he's fighting on instinct, I'm almost sure if take down the pair he's tangling with now he'll go look for others, that'll leave him straight to HQ, we're not steering him so much as luring him. I think it'll work, I really do." " 'Think'? You're asking us to risk our necks on a stupid gut feeling?" Connie raised his voice and his nervousness turned into agitation. Armin turned back towards him before continuing. "If I'm right about this, we can put down the seige on headquarters in one fell swoop." This left the baldy quiet as he started to consider the plan. "It's worth a shot."

Mikasa's statement brought back his nerves as he looked at her slightly shocked. "Huh, seriously?" Connie threw at her. "Better to go on Armin's gut feeling than wait around to be slaughtered. If there's a decent shot, why not take it." She replied, before Connie started yelling again. "So basically we're gonna recruit a Titan?" "Yes, exactly." Mikasa quickly added. "We'll look like morons if we screw this up." Which sparked a little giggle in Armin. "Yeah, but if we don't, look how many lives we stand to save." "Where there's a will there's a way." Mikasa said before taking off in a sprint across the rooftop, followed by Armin. "It's still nuts, but what the hell." Connie mumbled then joined them.

...

Jean stood entranced, gripping tightly onto the handle. 'Why couldn't I stop them? I am the last person that should've been given the charge.' His face said every single emotion he was feeling right now, sorrow, regret, anger, disappointment. 'No. No, this is our chance. We can get the drop on them while they're preoccupied, it's perfect!' "Let's go!" Everyone turned their attention from the Titans to Jean. "Make a break for HQ while they're distracted!"

He jumped onto a lower ledge and took off into a sprint, the others followed soon after. 'We can do this. Hey, if we run out of gas we're dead anyway.' Give it everything you got!" He commanded before jumping over an alleyway to a separate rooftop.