Where to begin?

The next morning, Jungkook sat outside watching the kids play after breakfast when his new friend joined him.

"I didn't expect you to be watching the kids," Dino said.

"I was considering what I wanted to do with my life now that I don't have to worry about fighting for a living." He nodded toward the kids, "When I was that age, I was already dodging the drug dealers and the slavery rings. I've never had the luxury of just playing."

Dino sat quietly next to him while they watched the joy of laughing children. "You know, I bet they'd love to play a game of chase with a strong panther. But," Jungkook looked at him, "You'd have to be it."

Jungkook smiled slowly and got up and joined the kids. At first, they didn't know what to make of this handsome cat that joined them, but his smile disarmed the kids quickly and they included him in their game. For the next hour, he didn't have to worry about anything but chasing and being chased by kids. Jungkook was reminded that he could be silly and when a child fell down and seriously scraped their knee, he picked up the child and took them in to be looked at by the caretaker.

Seeing the cut was deeper than they thought, the hybrid caretaker soon directed Jungkook to take the child to the doctor. This is how Jungkook found himself standing outside Jin's office door with a crying and bleeding child in his arms.

When Jin opened the door, he took one look at the child and directed Jungkook to put him on the table.

"Oh, oh, little one, did you hurt yourself?" Jin asked.

"Yeah, I fell down," the child sniffed, tears still trailing down his cheeks.

Jin took a tissue and wiped his face, "Oh, you'll be okay. We'll get you all fixed up and you'll be good as new."

"Will it hurt?" The small hybrid asked. He kept a hand close to his hurt knees, protecting them from this tall hybrid doctor.

"Well, let's see what you did to your knees, okay?" Jin leaned down and gently inspected the scrapes, finding the cut a rock had caused. This was the source of the bleeding. Jin tsked and took a gauze patch with distilled water to clean the area without hurting the child.

"This cut doesn't look too deep, we just need to put a butterfly bandage on it to keep it closed and it'll be okay." Jin smiled at the child who smiled back at the pretty doctor.

As Jin fixed the child's knee, Jungkook watched him quietly. This gave him an uninterrupted chance to watch his potential mate without being caught. Jin was gentle and quick in his movements with the child, putting him at ease and keeping things light and fun. Jungkook found himself smiling unwillingly and quickly schooled his features before Jin could catch him. When Jin stood up and turned around, he had his scowl back in place.

"Let Linda know that I put a butterfly bandage on the cut. As long as he doesn't play rough for the next few days, he shouldn't need stitches." Jin then cleaned up while Jungkook lifted the child into his arms.

"Thank you," Jungkook said and then left with the child.

Jin took a deep breath and tried to calm his own heartbeat. "Just give him time, Jin. Just give him time," He finished up in the room and returned to his office. Sitting down at his desk, Jin let his gaze wander over his pictures. Making a decision, he picked up the phone.

"Hey, Jin," The voice on the other line made Jin smile.

"Hey Yoongi, How is the festival going?"

"Fine. Tae and I performed this morning. Tae got his standing ovation." The pride in Yoongi's voice was evident.

"That's should make him happy," Jin smiled.

"He's surrounded by his fans at the moment," Jin could hear the fondness in Yoongi's voice for their talented mate. Taehyung loved spending time with his fans. Taehyung had a deep rich baritone that he could flex into many styles of singing. This tour of various festivals had Taehyung showing off his opera chops and Yoongi went along as his pianist.

"And Hoseok?"

"Ah, he and his crew of dancers are currently stealing the show. I don't know how he gets those kids to do all those tricks, but the crowd loves it."

Jin was a little jealous that his talented mates got to travel, but he loved being a doctor for the hybrids here under Miss Kay's protection. He owed her everything that he was blessed with.

"How are things going at the center? Did Miss Kay finally rescue the fighter?" Yoongi asked.

"That's what I called about. She did finally get him free from that monster's clutches, but he's proven to be very distrustful of mates. We met when she forced him to get a check-up and I could feel his distrust radiating off him in waves."

"He's a smart cat who survived the streets, he'd have to be." They were both aware of how mates were abused on the streets.

"Warn them that when you guys get back, do NOT approach him. He won't be open to attempts to bond. We don't want to force him into rejecting us from fear." Jin cautioned.

"You are asking the cuddle bears to NOT hug their mate? Are you insane?" Yoongi laughed.

Jin couldn't help but smile.

"Just stress to them that he's not open to mates right now. We have to get him used to us, first."

"I understand. I'll do my best, but make no promises." Yoongi and Jin shared a chuckle over their very upfront and loveable mates. Tae and Hobi had hearts a mile wide and their earnest natures made it so no one was a stranger to them. Jin wondered with a smile how long Jungkook could last against their loving onslaught.

"Love you, Yoongs, you guys have fun,"

"Love you, too. See you in a couple of weeks,"

"I miss you," Jin whispered, but before they hung up. He put the phone down and rubbed at his heart, trying to ignore the pull that would draw him to his yet unclaimed mate. He wondered how long Jungkook could resist the pull.

Jungkook was currently sitting on top of the roof, watching the city in the distance trying to ignore the beating of his heart and the yearning in his soul for one sexy dark angel.

"Mates don't exist. Mates don't exist," he muttered quietly, rubbing his chest in irritation.

"They do for everyone else," Dino said from behind him, causing Jungkook to jump in surprise.

Looking at the ghost behind him, he could only shake his head. "Leave me alone,"

"I can't. You promised to help me find out who I am. That is a draw I can't ignore." Dino had a hopeful and slightly worried look on his face.

"What are you worried about?" Jungkook asked him.

"I don't remember how I died. What if my family was also hurt?"

"Like a car accident?"

"Maybe," Dino looked thoughtful. "That's the most likely reason."

"Hybrid slavery still exists, you know. Someone could have tried to kidnap you and killed you when they weren't successful." Jungkook's eyes were grave.

"That makes it even worse," Dino shuddered. "In that scenario, they could still be captured."

"That's true, I suppose, but somehow, I don't think so." Dino looked at him with hopeful eyes. "You said you're tied to this place. So this is a place your spirit sees as safe. If you had died elsewhere, you wouldn't have known to come here."

"Possibly," Dino thought about it. "Although, this hybrid center is fairly well known. What if we were escaping and trying to get here?"

"Listen, I lived on the streets. I barely knew about this place. I thought it was another pet store, to be honest. My trainer reinforced that idea. My guess is that your family is probably here or close by. We'll find them." Jungkook promised.

"How?"

"Let's go talk to Onew. He knows about you haunting this place, I think." Jungkook got up and Dino just faded away. Shaking his head, Jungkook left the roof and went to find the rabbit in charge.