Game Night Gone Wrong (Act 1)

The sun was preparing to set outside, its orange glow sneaking in. Birch made sure every detail was perfect. The snacks on the coffee table, the placement of pillows, an extra soft throw blanket for wrapping in, and pumpkin spice candles making the somewhat small space even more cozy. She gazed upon her progress in her glow-in-the-dark pajamas happily.

"All this just for those two friends of yours?" Shaliver had sat himself in one of the loveseats nearby to watch. Ever since he moved in she has been a bit more reluctant to have her friends over. Though this did not stop her from hanging with them at their houses or elsewhere. She just worried Shaliver's standard attitude would scare them. Or worse, anger them. But after having known him for a year she thinks he's ready to make some more friends.

"We need to make a good impression, and what's a better impression than a fun sleepover?" She fluffs one of the pillows as she continues, "Just be your best self and they are sure to love you. Cheekiness and all." Placing the pillow down she walks over to sit on the ground next to Shaliver.

He huffed, "Will they handle this with at least some grace? Are they just clones of you?"

Birch laughed, "They are certainly not clones. Lou and Presely are as different from each other as they are from me." It only takes one look at the two for that to be obvious. "And that is what makes friends so cool. You can be near opposites yet have a bond that can even rival your families."

Shaliver leaned in at the comment. A more common occurrence than he would like to admit. It has to do with something she has caught from the corner of her eye. When they go on walks together she may see him glancing over at a happy family passing through. For a moment his normally neutral face is given a hint of fascination. And once the spectacle was out of view he returned to his regular self. This would occasionally happen too when her family would have breakfast together. From the way he never bothered to learn what a family was till he was living with her she wondered; did he have a family before? It would explain his less sympathetic nature. Why care for anyone if nobody cares for you?

Maybe introducing her friends could teach him to be a bit more kind. Or teach him not to threaten the lives of her collectable figures when slighted. Finishing up tidying the room it was set for the night's events. She goes over the rules with him one more time.

1. Don't be rude, treat them the way you treat my parents. You can be cheeky, just not rude.

2. Don't eat their slippers, that wasn't funny the third time you did it.

3. Try not to insult me for one night, this will hopefully keep you on their good side.

4. Don't mess with their things, Presely hates when people rearrange her stuff without permission.

And most important of all.

5. Don't make Lou angry. This is your best chance to earn his friendship so don't screw it up by somehow doing that.

Shaliver nods his head in agreement, saying a sarcastically heartfelt oath to abide by these rules. She sighed but didn't argue further about it. All she can do is hope he will actually try to make good tidings with her closest human friends. DING! Her head whips around to the front door. Shaliver shuffles away as she goes to answer.

 Shaliver shuffles away as she goes to answer