The Snake that Never Sinned (Act 1)

All the leaves had fallen, the decor of horror was no more. The Halloween Spirit had left no remnants in Fatemore. Birch could only sigh watching people start shopping for Christmas gifts a whole month in advance. It was one of her least favorite holidays, next to Easter with its ominous bunny mascots. She shakes the uneasy thoughts away. This pressured obsession over finding the ultimate gift was just silly.

Can't we have some big festival on Christmas day instead of having to prove our love through our paycheck?

Winter had neared. Windows tinted in silver frost replaced the cotton cobwebs. Bins were slightly ajar from the rotting pumpkin's peeking from the lid. Wrappers collected themselves in the small piles of the remaining autumn leaves. Fake snake's were toppled over as cat's rattled them like toys.

EH?

"HEY!" The cat arched as she rushed towards them in a fury.

This posse of pussycats attempted to make away with their meal. Luckily in spite of her lack of strength she wretched the reptile out of their salivating maw. They scampered away back to the alleys of Old Fate. Cradled in her arms she cringes at the sorry state of his arm.

"Just because there are doctors doesn't mean you don't need to know how to tend to your own injuries. We can't stop you from being a kid but we can prepare you for the consequences of it." Her mother wrapped the little padding around her quivering finger. "A healthy amount of trouble will always come with a bit of pain. But the wisdom from that will stick far better than anything spoken. The most important thing is to learn the lesson the first time, or the second." She laughs at the teary eyed little girl. She would never stick her boogers under the chair again.

Mom would be proud to see me now.

Exactly the way she did on Morice the Fuzzy Octopus she applied the padding and plaster coat. Her water bottle was able to clean the wound perfectly along with the alcohol from her First Aid kit. Only the slow rise of his chest assured her of hope. Once finished she neatly put away the medical supplies, thankful for her mother's lesson. Small pebbles pricked her hands as she lifted herself off the ground. The snake curled into her chest, with her walking carefully to ensure as little discomfort as possible.

~~~

~~~

Fresh bite injuries stung under the shade of the looming maple. Darkness cleared from his visions he takes in the trauma. Though not visible bruises and sore spots ached under her scales. The worst of it was his one arm, now held in a makeshift sling with something written on it. He may have not known how to read but he quickly deduced whose from the little face doodled next to it.

"Birch?"

The freckled girl huffed before allowing herself to visibly relax. "Yay. I still know how to do it."

She was beaming with pride. He hated to interrupt but his question needed an answer.

His accent slipped, "Whatsssss~... happened?"