Sickly Sweet Treats (Act 1)

Pumpkin spice season had finally arrived. Shaliver meticulously goes out of his way to crunch leaves with each bounding hop. Seems distracting enough he doesn't care about the odd looks people give him in his adorable pink bandana. Birch would comment if it didn't seem so fun to watch. October had to be her favorite month, encompassing everything she loved and more. Thanksgiving dinners, everything spooky everywhere, being prime time for horror movies, and not forgetting the all so wonderful Halloween night. She still laughs at the time her mother made her a monster costume like the one in her beloved kids movies. Purple scale skin and googly eyes that had everyone at the doors fawning over her.

Younger kids were ogling the windows of costume displays while discussing their last minute costumes. So bright were their smiles as they made references she barely understood. One of her favorite things about Halloween is just seeing so many happy faces. Laughing together as they tried to amass a horde of candy that would last them months. It tempted her to try another year before she gets too old. Maybe she can share some with him this time. After all this is Shaliver's first Halloween officially with her family. So they ought to make it special.

The storefront already had large boxes of pumpkins out, being inspected by the local mothers and kids. Pumpkins also hung from the ceiling on banners next to the bats. All were having a good time, aside from two figures that seemed to be arguing near the dairy. Birch approached but could only watch as the man begrudgingly left. Her mother mumbled something under his breath before nudging her mothers leg. Whatever annoyance she had faded as she reached down to pet the faux feline.

"So you're making this a habit?"

"Just making sure your kid arrives home safely," He bowed his head. She then started scratching right underneath his one horn, making him flop over to his side.

Mom really knew how to tame the beast.

"So what was up with that guy? Was it another person complaining about the lack of some brand item?"

She huffed, "Sort of. He wanted to sell their candy bars here. However when asking what was in it he refused to elaborate. That rude man practically tried shoving it down my throat."

Her mom crossed her arms, "So I told him that his business is not welcome here

Her mom crossed her arms, "So I told him that his business is not welcome here. This place is meant to support respectable local shops. Besides, we already know some great candy stores that have far better variety."

Birch saw the fire burn in her mothers ominously calm eyes. Fatemore Supermarket was her mother's pride and joy aside from herself. It helped prop up local stores while enticing others to go visit them for more of their product. After the fall of Old Fate people see this as one of the beacons of the community. Her mother even had local artists paint graffiti on the unoccupied sides of the store to support the arts. The last thing her mom would ever do is do something to ruin all that.

Dad says he always did love her mothers dedication to others.

"So since you're working late tonight I was planning to get supper ready." Without a word the woman took money out of her pocket and gently patted her daughter's head. She was glowing with pride.