Chapter 28- Mother, Daughter, Sister

Isabel didn't remember much. She could remember her name, but that was about it. Where was she? How had she gotten there? A voice prodded at the back of her head, reminding her that she had to leave. But Isabel didn't have the wherewithal to move. So instead she let the voice fade from her mind and continued to float in the void.

***********

Reid's knee bounced nervously as they approached Teresa Byrne's house. He was nervous about entering a daycare, but he was even more nervous about meeting Ciara's sister. What would she be like? Would she be so much like Ciara it would hurt? Or would he be able to look at her without missing Ciara? How much would Teresa be able to answer? If she did have all of the answers, would Reid even be able to handle them? He knew Ciara had had a traumatizing life- could Reid handle knowing all of her trauma?

But he couldn't think about it much longer. Morgan pulled up to the large house that had to be Teresa's considering the decent-sized sign in the front yard that boasted the name "Tot Spot Daycare". Reid sighed and reached into his pocket, pulling out the hand sanitizer he'd brought. As he squirted a generous amount onto his palm, Akilah looked back at him from the front seat, laughing when she saw what he was doing. She could risk her health all she wanted, but he wasn't about to.

Morgan parked on the street and the three of them looked at the daycare. There were flower pots lining the front porch and several tricycles and kid's toys in the front yard, and Reid wondered what was in the backyard. The house was a soft cream color, not too bright, but not too dark or dull. He hadn't seen the inside but based on the outside, it seemed that Teresa had set up the perfect place for children.

They finally exited the car and walked up the path to the front door. On the front door, there was a keyless lock, and Reid had to assume that was to make sure that nobody could just walk in off the street. And since they didn't know the code, they wouldn't be able to get in without someone letting them in. Reid wondered how that worked- if Teresa had someone to answer the door while she and the other staff were watching the children.

Morgan rang the doorbell, and the three agents stood in a line as they waited for someone to answer. It only took a minute before the door was opened and an elderly woman stood on the other side. The woman looked at the three of them, before speaking.

"Hello, are you here for a tour? I don't think we have any scheduled today, but I might be able to..." the woman started, and all three agents looked at each other. Did she think they were one of those three-people relationships, or a couple and their weird friend that tagged along? Especially since there wasn't a child with them, what made her think they were here for a tour?

"No, ma'am. I'm Agent Ganem, this is Agent Morgan, and this is Dr. Reid. We're with the FBI," Akilah introduced them.

"FBI? Now, why would the FBI be here? I promise that this daycare is completely up to standard! I don't know who said what that sent the FBI to Tot Spot, but it's a lie!" the woman insisted.

"No, no, it's nothing like that. We're just here to talk to Teresa Byrne," Morgan responded, and the woman raised her eyebrow.

"Teresa? What do you want with Teresa?"

"We just want to talk. We're investigating a case and we think Teresa might be able to help us. That's all. She isn't in any trouble, and neither is the daycare," Akilah answered, and finally, the woman nodded.

"Alright. Come in and I'll call Teresa down," she said, gesturing for them to follow her. They did as she bade, following them into the foyer. On the walls were children's drawings and there was one bulletin board advertising a "Book of the Month" and several drawings that seemed to relate to the book. It was a great way to show off what the kids were doing, Reid supposed.