Chapter 48- Because Of Them

The devil smirked at her, and Isabel just stared him down. He was trying to get her to break, but she wouldn't. He was trying to scare her, and though she hated it, that part might just work. But he knew she was scared of him. She'd never not been afraid of him. She'd just acted in spite of her fear. And wasn't that what bravery was? Acting in spite of fear? He put a finger under her chin and forced her head up, looking deep into her eyes.

"Aren't you scared?" he asked, and he laughed wryly.

"I'm terrified," she admitted. "And it's all yer fault. It's all because of ye. Is that what ye wanted to hear?"

"Well, it's better. But we have a long way to go before I'm satisfied. The story isn't over yet."

*******************

"Babe, I just think it's time." Reid looked up from the tablet where Ciara was sleeping fitfully. In her sleep, she'd sometimes roll over onto her back, only to cry out in pain as she woke up. She'd roll back over onto her stomach and try to go back to sleep. It was the third day of the most recent livestream, and on the first day, James had once again bound Ciara to the St. Andrew's cross and whipped her. The lashes from the first whipping three months prior still hadn't closed up. Add that to the new lashes, and Reid wasn't sure how long it would take for her back to heal. At least listening to Morgan and Akilah's conversation was more pleasant than watching Ciara fitfully sleep.

"I just don't think I can, Derek," Akilah responded, and Reid quirked an eyebrow, wondering what their conversation was about. Morgan obviously wanted them to do something, but Akilah wasn't sure about it. What could it be? They obviously weren't talking about engagement, because that conversation had already happened. He seriously doubted it was about children. Both were good with kids, but neither wanted kids of their own yet. So what was it?

"Listen, Akilah, last time we were in Chicago, when we found Cindi, you remember how my mother and sisters were nagging on us, asking if we were finally engaged or having kids? I know we aren't ready to do either of those. But I think we are ready to take the next step. I want you to move in with me," Morgan stated, and Reid nodded slightly. That made sense. Moving in together was the next logical step in their relationship.

"Derek, I would love to live with you, but I'm not ready for that yet."

"We've been dating for nearly two years," Morgan reminded her, and she sighed.

"Okay, listen. There's a reason I haven't moved even though that apartment is a horrible reminder. It's because leaving that apartment would force me to make a decision, and I'm not ready to make that decision yet," she said, and Morgan tilted his head, waiting for her to continue. "I'd have to decide what to do with Ciara's stuff."

"Akilah..."

"On the off-chance that we find her, I want her to have a home to come back to. How would she feel if she came back and found out that all her stuff had been packed up? That the room she spent so long designing had been completely torn apart?"

"We'll have time to find her somewhere to go. You've seen the state she's in. If she gets out of there, she'll be in the hospital for some time. Long enough for us to find her someplace to go. If anything, I have a spare room. We can put her there," Morgan suggested, and Akilah shook her head.

"It's not just the stuff, Derek. It's the room. She set it up exactly how she wanted it. She even chose that specific room so she could put her bed next to the window and watch the sunrise. I bet you anything that if we get her back, the one thing she'll be looking forward to is being surrounded by her stuff. I can't take that from her," Akilah explained. Reid knew she had a point. If and when they rescued Ciara, she would want and need familiar surroundings to help her heal. Even having her stuff, but in a different room, would disorientate and possibly even frighten her.