Chapter 41- Fragments Of The Past

Isabel was still in her white-washed world. She didn't know how long the lake was planning on keeping her there. Maybe until the Devil was done with her. She was on the ground, looking up at the sky. Or what she assumed was the sky. It was hard to tell when everything looked the same. But as she stared at the empty sky, visions began to flash before her eyes. Visions of her past, the good and the bad. Everything up until her abduction. But finally, it landed on one of her best memories. That memory played over and over, and she smiled as the warm feeling in her heart lulled her to sleep.

******************

Reid stood in the round table room, listening as Garcia typed away and waiting for JJ to return with the news they were all hoping for. She had gone to contact Marika Hoffman-Hatahle while Hotch was contacting field offices around the country. She was in New York this whole time, and they never knew. What could Marika tell them about Ciara and James? What had she seen and heard at North Omaha Psychiatric Hospital? Could she tell them about how Ciara and James had met, or what happened to cause Ciara to not see him for five years before his first assault?

Reid also wanted to talk to Teresa. Maybe Ciara had mentioned James but Teresa didn't know that's who they were looking for. Or maybe she could tell them the most important thing of all. That bastard had mentioned that he was keeping Ciara someplace connected to her past. Was it possible that Teresa could tell them where? Could it be that their hiding place was somewhere in Teresa's memory, locked away to protect her from any trauma associated with it?

"Alright, I got good news. Marika has agreed to come and talk to us. She's deep in a case right now, but said she can probably make the trip down on the 28th. She'll be here somewhere around noon," JJ told them, and Reid breathed a sigh of relief. Step one done. He would talk to Teresa when he stopped by to see her on her birthday. They all looked to Rossi, who seemed deep in thought.

"Garcia, I'd like you to track down two other people. Her roommates. She called them Mindy and Russell," Rossi said, and Reid groaned. Of the people in the room, he was the only one who had actually met Mindy Lee and Russell Taylor. He wasn't looking to see them again.

"Something wrong?" Akilah asked, and Reid sighed.

"Mindy Lee and Russell Taylor. I met them when Hotch, Gideon, and I went to Omaha to find Ciara. They're not good people. They kept Ciara inside for all hours of the day. They made her sleep on the floor and wouldn't give her a blanket or let her have heat in her room if she did something they didn't like," Reid told the group, ignoring several raised eyebrows. "They didn't even try and understand her mental illness. But yet, even though they clearly hated her, Mindy tried to get Ciara to stay. Ciara never explained why."

"Well, maybe we can ask them. I want to know how they could have seen Ciara in such bad shape after her rape and didn't even notice. How could they not do anything?" Akilah asked, the anger clear in her voice.

"Okay, I'm getting info on them right now, and... Aw, really?" Garcia whined, and everyone looked at her. "Why do good things happen to bad people?"

"What do you mean?" Prentiss asked.

"It's not Mindy Lee and Russell Taylor anymore. It's Mindy and Russell Taylor. They got married a little over a year ago," she said. "And they're expecting their first child. According to medical records, Mindy is eight months along."

"They didn't waste any time," Akilah commented.

"They live in Philadelphia. Guess they don't take the whole "brotherly love" thing seriously. Mindy is a librarian and Russell is a bank manager. And... here's their phone numbers," Garcia told them, and JJ looked over her shoulder.