Chapter 34- The Black Notebook

"Ye won't win," Isabel said, even as she was being dragged by her ankle back to their thrones. Even if she was being dragged farther away from the lake, her only ally. Even if it couldn't reach her, she wondered if it could still speak to her in her mind. Though she was being dragged away, she could almost feel the rocking of the waves in her bones and the boiling of the water in her veins. It was as if she was in tune with the lake; she could only wonder if that was because she spent so much time inside the water or because the lake had chosen to help her.

The devil laughed as he dragged her, looking down at her with a gleam of excitement in his eyes.

"I had you once. I'll have you again. Just wait."

*************

Reid stared at his phone for two minutes and fifteen seconds after Akilah abruptly hung up. She found it? She found Bury Me In Black? Once he set his phone back down on the table, he readjusted Nyla so that she was back in both of his arms and stared down at her. She was so small. So innocent. She had no idea what horrors were waiting for her out in the world. All she knew right now was that she needed to eat, sleep, and learn and that her mother and Teresa loved her and would care for her.

Reid wished he could be that innocent again. But he couldn't be; he'd seen too much, experienced too much. And that was why he stayed with the BAU- to try and make the world a safer place for innocent children like Nyla and Ria. To try and protect them from the evil that would snuff their life out before it had barely even begun.

He looked to the entryway of the kitchen, wondering how he would explain to Teresa that another visitor would be coming soon. But perhaps, since it was a visitor with a clue that might help find her sister, Teresa might not have a problem with it. Speaking of which, where was she? How long did it take to take a child to the bathroom? He truly didn't know much about childcare. But did anyone before they had children? Finally, though, he heard a voice coming down the hallway.

"IT'S THE MICKEY MOUSE CLUBHOUUUUSE! COME INSIIIIDE! IT'S FUN INSIIIIDE!" the voice sang, and Reid chuckled. He wasn't sure what that song was about, but Ria seemed to be enjoying it. Now, he knew who Mickey Mouse was- the cartoon mouse created by Walt Disney, first publically appearing on November 18, 1928, in "Steamboat Willie". But what Ria was referring to, he had no idea.

"Yes, yes, Ria. I'll get Nyla and Dr. Reid and then I'll put on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse for you," Teresa assured. "I swear, you've watched that show so many times you practically know every word by now." Reid felt the baby squirming in his arms, so he looked down to see the baby open her green eyes. She blinked up at him a few times, before screwing her eyes shut and opening her mouth. Reid's eyes widened and he sucked in a deep breath as the baby began to scream.

"Oh no, mama! Baby cying!" Ria noticed, her voice coming from just beyond the entryway.

"Yes, Ria, the baby is crying. Nyla's probably hungry. I'll have to make her a bottle before I turn on Mickey Mouse," Teresa responded as the two finally entered the kitchen. Teresa looked over at Reid and laughed when she saw him panickingly bouncing the baby, trying everything he knew to calm her down. "Having fun there?"

"Please help me," he begged, not knowing what to do. Teresa walked over to the fridge and pulled out what Reid had to guess was a bag of breastmilk as Ria walked over to him, looking at him and the squawling baby with curiosity.

"Maybe you bounce too hawd?" she suggested innocently, and Reid glared down at her.

"She's got a point, you know. You are bouncing her a bit too hard. That can't feel good to her," Teresa mentioned, and Reid sent his glare her way.