Prologue

⊱ ────────ஓ๑♡๑ஓ ──────── ⊰

Denver, Colorado
October 1983

"How can I help you to say goodbye; it's okay to hurt and it's okay to cry. Come let me hold you, and I will try. How can I help you to say goodbye."

Another day had come and gone for Lisa Winchester at the cancer center in Denver. She had been diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer back in June, and since then, her 16-year-old daughter, Rebecca never left her side, except to go to school.

Rebecca was asleep on the cot in the corner of the room, and Lisa was folding back the covers on the bed, when she looked out the window to see a beautiful sight. It was snowing. She didn't want to wake up her daughter, but at the same time, she wanted to cherish every moment that she could. So, Lisa walked over to the cot, and sat down beside her daughter and gently roused her, until Rebecca woke up

Lisa stroked her daughter's head as she began to stir awake. "Hi sweetheart." the beautiful blonde woman smiled

Rebecca rubbed her beautiful green eyes, which were those of her father's, and took her mother's hand in her own. "What's wrong mama? Are you all right?" she questioned in concern

Lisa smiled as she ran her fingers through her daughter's beautiful brunette hair. "Nothing's wrong sweetheart. I'm just fine." she reassured

"Is it time to go back home?" Rebecca questioned 

Lisa shook her head no. "No my sweetness. It's still nighttime, and it's snowing."

Rebecca's beautiful green eyes lit up at the mere mention of snow. "Really?"

Lisa smiled and nodded. "Yeah, do you want to go someplace special with me? Right now?"

Was that even supposed to be a question? Of course she wanted to go somewhere special with her mother. Rebecca smiled and nodded. "Yeah."

Lisa smiled as she helped her daughter out of the bed. "Okay, just you and me."

After the mother and daughter got their clothes on, the two of them caught a cab to the nearby stables, where Lisa helped Rebecca on a horse and the blonde had a firm hold on her daughter. "Hold on tight." Lisa said

Rebecca did as her mother said, and Lisa gently nudged the horse with her foot, and the horse began to run. They rode faster and faster along the trail. Lisa had one arm firmly around her daughter's waist, and controlled the horse with the other.

Lisa closed her eyes for a moment, allowing the wind to wash over her. The smells and sounds of the night seemed to free her, and give her strength that she had lost in the disease that she was succumbing to.

Rebecca relaxed against her mother and giggled with delight, and Lisa soon joined in, with their laughter breaking the silence of the night. They came to a stop at the crest of a small hill, and tears were falling down Lisa's face. Rebecca couldn't see, as she stared out at the beautiful Denver moonlit snowy valley before them.

Lisa wrapped her arms around her daughter's waist and rested her cheek against her daughter's temple. "I'm never going to forget this."

Rebecca happily snuggled back into her mother. "Never say never mama."

Lisa kissed the side of her daughter's head and she just chuckled. "You're old enough to learn the loop hole. You can say never, never, if you mean it enough, to say it twice."

Rebecca tried not to cry, but she couldn't help it as she allowed her own tears to escape. "I'll remember, always and forever."

Lisa gripped a little tighter. She knew her time was just about up. The mother and daughter rode back to the stables, where they caught a cab back to the cancer center.

Lebanon, Kansas
December 25, 1983

In the Winchester family home, Lisa sat on the bed in the master bedroom, completely bedriden, an IV in her arm, but she's made the most of her Christmas. Beside her, Rebecca opened her gift. She opened it to reveal a beautiful pink chiffon dress, which Lisa made from old material.

Rebecca smiled as she held the beautiful pink dress up, then smiled as she embraced her mother. "Oh mama, it's the most beautiful dress I've ever seen. I love it, thank you so much."

Lisa smiled as she returned her daughter's embrace. "I knew you would. I know I could have bought you a new dress, but I remember you were always trying this one particular dress of mine on when you were little. So with the material people gave to us, I made a few altercations to the dress, and now it's yours."

Rebecca gently laid the dress on the bed, laid beside her mother. Lisa wrapped her motherly arms around her daughter before she spoke. "I have another gift for you." the blonde said

"Mom, you didn't have to get me anything else, this is enough." Rebecca said

Lisa reached over to the nightstand and placed a beautifully wrapped gift in Rebecca's hands. After the brunette unwrapped the gift, she opened the box to reveal an intricate heart-shaped locket which had a picture of Lisa on one side and Dean on the other

Rebecca embraced her mother, then pulled away from the embrace. "Mama, I love it. Thank you so much."

Lisa smiled as she put the locket around her daughter's neck. "You're welcome honey. Always remember, your heart is your compass. Let it guide you."

Rebecca smiled as she clutched the heart pendant. "I'll never take it off." her smile quickly faded, then asked, "Are you scared?"

Lisa softly nodded, and gently answered, "A little." she sighed as she rubbed her daughter's back then continued. "Mostly I was scared for you, but I'm not anymore because I know you're gonna be okay."

Rebecca's eyes filled with tears as she leaned into her mother's neck. "I don't want to say goodbye, you're my favorite person in the world and I'm going to miss you so much."

Lisa ran her fingers through her daughter's long brunette hair, then whispered softly, "My sweet darling Rebecca, time will ease your pain. There's one thing I haven't taught you, and that's life's about changing and nothing ever stays the same. It's okay to hurt, it's okay to cry. My beautiful baby girl. You can miss me and you can take me with you... you can."

Rebecca just listened to her mother's weakening heart beat, and still continued to cry quietly. She truly wasn't ready to say goodbye to her favorite person in the world. Lisa's hazel eyes filled with tears, as she continued. "When you're in trouble...have me there. When you fall in love, have me there. You can. I mean that's how...people go on forever, you know, because somebody takes them along. On your graduation, and your wedding, and when you have your babies. Take me along, will you?"

Rebecca rested her hand on her mother's cheek and promised, "Always and forever."

Lisa wiped her daughter's tears and said, "You have made my life so wonderful. You take that with you too, okay?"

The mother and daughter shared a tearful goodbye. That was the last Christmas Rebecca ever spent with her mother. The very last one.