Chapter 9 - The Big Fish

As we continued fishing at the dock, our fathers suddenly spotted two boats moored nearby. Uncle James and Pastor Jacob looked at each other, then back at the boats. 

"Boys, gather around!" shouted Uncle James. "Your fathers have spotted two boats over there and we're going to the middle of the lake to catch some big fish."

The four of us, Jonah, Blessing, Rich, and Chosen, all rushed to gather around Uncle James and Pastor Jacob. "Yes!" shouted Blessing. "This is what we've been waiting for."

Grandpa Thomas chuckled, "I remember the days when your fathers were just like you, eager to catch the big one."

Eden, Uncle James' wife, came over to join us. "Just be careful out there," she said with a smile. "And make sure to listen to your fathers."

Pastor Jacob grinned, "We've got this, my dear. We've been fishing in this lake for years."

As we approached the boats, we could already see the excitement in each other's eyes. "Who wants to join me in this boat?" Uncle James asked, pointing to the first boat.

"I do!" Rich and Blessing said in unison.

Pastor Jacob looked at us and smiled, "And I'll take Jonah and Chosen with me in this boat."

We all boarded the boats and started our journey to the middle of the lake. The wind was in our hair and the sun was shining bright. We were all filled with excitement, eager to see what kind of fish we could catch.

"Let's do this, boys!" shouted Uncle James, as he revved up the boat's engine.

Pastor Jacob gave us a nod, "And let's show these fathers what you young ones are made of."

We all cheered and the boats took off, speeding towards the middle of the lake and the anticipation of what was to come.

As the fathers and my cousins and I made our way to the boats, Grandpa Thomas stayed back with the other adults. "I think I'll stay here with the others and keep watch over the camp," he said to Pastor Jacob and Uncle James.

Pastor Jacob nodded, seeming to understand that Grandpa Thomas was getting older and preferred to take it easy. "Okay, we'll be back soon with a big catch," he said, patting Grandpa Thomas on the back.

Grandpa Thomas smiled and sat by the fire, content to relax and chat with Grandma Elizabeth, Mom, Aunt Eden, and my sister, Hannah. "Have fun out there, you young ones," he said to us as we climbed into the boats.

And with that, the fathers and my cousins and I set off for the middle of the lake, excited for a day of fishing and adventure.

***

Grandpa Thomas greeted his two daughter-in-laws, Sara and Eden, as they sat around the campfire. "How are you ladies enjoying the day?" he asked, taking a seat beside them.

"I'm doing well, thanks," Sara replied with a smile. "It's nice to have a break from all the responsibilities of being a pastor's wife."

Grandma Elizabeth nodded in agreement. "It can be tough at times, but you always do such a great job," she said, patting Sara's hand.

Eden, however, let out a sigh. "I don't know how you do it, Sara. I struggle enough with just my three boys and their school days," she said, running her hands through her hair. "And with James being out at work all week, it can get pretty lonely around here."

Sara nodded sympathetically. "I know what you mean. It's hard to balance everything sometimes."

Grandpa Thomas listened intently to the conversation, a frown forming on his face. "Now, now, there's no need to get so worked up," he said, putting an arm around each of the women. "You're both doing a fantastic job and I couldn't be more proud of you."