Chapter 13 - "I'm sorry, Ethan,"

I am Ava, the older sister of Ethan. I remember when I was younger, my father was a man of great faith. He was a devout believer in God and our mother was equally devoted. That is, until she was diagnosed with cancer. Despite our family's prayers and my father's unwavering belief, she still passed away.

My father was never the same after her death. He lost all faith in God, and the loss of his wife took a toll on our family. My younger brother Ethan and I were left to deal with the aftermath of our father's failed relationship with God.

Today, we were in 5 & 2 Basket for lunch and Ethan and I got into an argument about him going to church. He wanted to go and be a part of the life group, but I couldn't allow it. I love my brother, but I can't let him be hurt like our father was. I just wish he could understand why I can't let him go.

"Ethan, please just listen to me," I said, trying to keep my voice calm. "I know you want to go to church, but it's just not the right time. We need to think about what's best for our family, especially dad."

Ethan didn't say anything for a moment, and I could tell that he was trying to process what I was saying. He looked down at his plate and took a deep breath.

"I just don't understand, Ava," he said, looking up at me with tears in his eyes. "Why can't I go to church? Why does dad always have to come first?"

I sighed and took a moment to gather my thoughts. This was a sensitive topic for our family, and I didn't want to say the wrong thing.

"Ethan, it's not just about dad," I explained softly. "It's about what's best for all of us. Going to church right now could bring up old wounds and hurt dad even more. We need to be there for him and support him, even if that means not going to church."

Ethan looked at me for a long moment, and I could see the confusion and frustration in his eyes. I knew that this wasn't an easy conversation to have, but I also knew that it was necessary.

"I'll think about it, Ava," he said finally, before getting up from the table and heading to the restroom.

I watched him go, feeling a mix of sadness and relief. This was a hard situation for all of us, but I was just trying to do what was best for my family.

As I sit here waiting for Ethan to come out of the restroom, my phone buzzes. It's a text from Noah, my boyfriend.

Noah: Hey, where are you?

Ava: Hey. We're at 5&2 Basket, Ethan's favorite diner.

Noah: Oh, I see. What are you guys doing there?

Ava: I wanted to make it up to Ethan for not letting him go to church today. I felt bad about it and thought we could have a nice lunch together.

Noah: That's sweet of you. How's Ethan doing?

Ava: He was upset this morning, but I hope he's feeling better now. He's been in the restroom for a while.

Noah: Well, I hope everything works out. I'll talk to you later, okay?

Ava: Okay, bye.

I put my phone back in my purse and lean back in my seat, letting out a sigh. I can't help but think about the argument Ethan and I had earlier. He was so upset that I wouldn't let him go to church, but I had to protect him. Our dad's experience with faith has left him broken, and I don't want that to happen to Ethan too.

I was sitting at our usual booth, waiting for Ethan to come back from the restroom when I noticed two familiar guys entering. I couldn't place them but their faces made me suspicious. I got up from my seat and walked towards the bathroom, trying to listen to their conversation inside. I heard Ethan leave first, so I told him to sit back down at our table.