5 | Are We a Mess?

3483 words
Tue, Oct, 24, 2023

 Chapter 5

As Darren got to the hospital along with an unconscious Felicie, they take her to the ER.

He run his long fingers through his brown hair in frustration and looked here and there in horror as he doesn't know what to do.

Everything seems to get black-blanked again as some nurse came and ask him about Felicie's old medical records. But he didn't get what they were saying. He looked at them with a blank expression.

The person who was earlier asking something to Darren left him as he seems to not answer a single question she ask.

He suddenly remembered that he has to call his father to inform him about this situation. As he take out the phone there was random text that pops-up. He ignored them and dial his fathers number.

“Hey, son.! I am little busy right --” James was saying unaware of his wife's health but then Darren literally scream at him by hearing the word busy.

“Dad atleast listen to me, IT'S IMPORTANT.!” James flinched at his sudden out brust but before he can ask him about what happened, Darren again speaks up.

“Mom's in ER right now. I don't know what happened to her suddenly but she just collapsed in front of me. Come here as soon as you can dad, i am not strong enough to see her like thi--” this time James cut his sentance as he make out sence out of the information provided to him.

“Hey, hey, don't! Don't break down. you are strong! and tell me which hospital did you take her I am coming right there.” Darren heard his father's voice from the other end of the call. He told him the name of the hospital. And ask his dad to collect Felicie's old medical records. To which he responded positively.

He hangs up and went towards the curtain which was hiding Felicie. He push it aside, his peripheral vision enters his mother laying lifelessly in the patient bed and a lady in white coat lab with a stethoscope around her neck which was screaming about her professionalism; doctor. Darren gather up the courage to speak.

“Excuse me doctor, is she alright?.” Darren ask with a lot hope lacing his voice. The doctor turn around to Darren and passes a weak smile, but he could not smile back.

“champ don't worry, it's all okay. Your mama's gonna be okay. Her fainting was caused by the low blood sugar level in her diet. It can be treated easily.” those words bring Darren back to life, a wave of relive pass his expression, the lady doctor patted his head lovingly and continued.

“ I'll make sure to get her back as she was before, your job is to make sure that she will never be back to this state.” she said and waited for Darren'a answer but all he can do was slight nod.

“Dr. Monica, back to work please. We have ward full of patients.!” someone screams from behind.

“I'm taking care of this patient, right here!” Dr. Monica said and ask someone ward boy to take Felicie to some room. It amazed Darren that in this chaotic emergency room, she take two minutes from her precious time to comfort him, have she been not told him about how his mother is, he would definitely be crying like a baby right now.

He blinked and followed Dr. Monica to where they were taking his mother. Not much happened when James brag in the ER with a file that says medical records.

“Darren, what happened to her? Why is she unconscious?” James flooded Darren with his questions, while pointing at his wife.

“ Dad, calm down. Doctor is guessing that it might be because of her low sugar level.” Darren get up where he was seated. He was yet to complete his sentence when James started talking.