CHAPTER 35 - Ghost Panther

After both catching our breath, and easing back into a normal heartbeat, we began steadying ourselves in the shower. I started to pull the shower curtain back and step out when Danny gently grabbed my wrist.
"Where are you going?" I looked back at him a little confused. "I was going to get my clothes and go to my room?" He softly guided me back into the shower with a tug, and wrapped his arms back around me.
"No, stay here with me. Let's shower together." His smile was so charming, and his arms, so sturdy and comforting. I smiled bashfully and nodded my head in agreement, followed by him giving me several kisses on my cheek.
He swiveled me around so I was taking on the water of the shower head.
"I can wash your back for you? How about that, sweetheart?" This behavior felt so out of ordinary, but I was enjoying myself so deeply. I don't think Danny had ever been so sweet, so gentle, so comforting and inviting. He grabbed a purple loofa I had off the suction cupped shower hook on the tile wall, and lathered it with the lavender body wash I honestly forgot I had. The scent of lavender filled the misty air of the shower, and for the first time in a long time, I was melting into a deep relaxation. He rubbed in circular motions into my back, slowly and massage-like. I subconsciously let out a deep, content sigh. He moved to my arms, then down my legs, and wrapped around to my front. When Danny seemed to feel like he had washed me thorough, he coiled his arms back around my waist, landing a kiss upon my rosied cheeks.
"Mind if we switch?" He asked. I then realized I had been hogging all the hot water from him, and quickly moved out of his way. I watched him dip his head directly under the shower stream, and begin washing over his own body. I watched, almost mesmerized by his back muscles moving and flexing. All I could think to do was bite my thumb nail as I admired him from behind. Just like always though, Danny seemed to have a sixth sense for when I was staring. Maybe that's what made him such a good killer, always knowing when people were watching. He glanced over his shoulder and smirked at me. The flush of my cheeks was no longer of arousal or the heat of the shower, but slight embarrassment as he caught me staring once again. I wrapped my arms around myself, feeling a little chilled from being just outside of the reach of hot water now. I cleared my throat slightly and meekly said, "I think I'll get out now." I heard him chuckle softly, followed by him saying, "alright, sweetheart."

I climbed out of the shower and picked my clothes up off the floor. I quickly made my way to my room and picked out some comfy articles from my closet to nestle into. An over-sized sweater was a must for the slightly nippy weather we had begun experiencing. Just as I was exiting back into the hall, Danny was walking by with only a towel wrapped around his waist. He entered into his room and before closing his door he looked at me and gave me a wink paired with his alluring, charming smile. For the first time, I think I experienced what people talked about when they spoke of hearts skipping a beat. I gripped my sweater softly, and with the feeling of butterflies fluttering within me, I could only think to make my way back down stairs and distract myself with something.

I went to the fridge and scanned for specific ingredients. I decided to make some cookies! We didn't have candy, and I hardly expected trick-or-treaters to show up at the front door, but I figured it would be nice to have some kind of sweet treat for the occasion. After gathering all of the baking ingredients I owned, I concurred that I could make simple sugar cookies with what was here. I came up with an idea to add food coloring to tint the cookies orange to at least give them a festive feel. Danny was upstairs for a while, and I had time to mix everything and throw in the first batch.
"Something smells good! What are you making?" I heard from behind me. I think I was finally starting to get used to him sneaking up on me all the time. Well...somewhat.
"Cookies." I said smiling as I turned to look in his direction. My smiled dragged down slightly as my eyes landed on a Danny dressed in black, shrieking ghost mask in hand.
"Are you...going out?" I asked. "Halloween is a busy night! Loads of people at parties, getting drunk, making poor decisions, like going out into the woods on dares or to make out." He shifted to lean on the island counter as he inspected his mask. He looked up at me directly. "You should come with me." He stated in an oddly sharp tone. I felt uneasy. "I...really don't think that's a good idea." I responded while turning back to the cookies in the oven. "Why don't we just both stay in. We can have cookies and watch horror movies!" I tried to make a convincing plan to keep him in. He wandered his way close behind me, and leaned his lips close to my ear. "Come on babe, it'll be fun. You could learn a thing or two since you're getting a knack for the business."

Knack for the business.

"What does that mean?" I questioned him.
"You know. You have your first blood on your hands now, and just imagine what we could do if we did this together." His hands gripped my hips and gave them a squeeze.
"I can already picture it in my head. You holding them down while my knife gets to work." His voice became more hoarse, and dark in tone, yet he gradually sounded more exhilarated as he spoke of this heinous act he was envisioning.
"And my fucking god, to see you blood soaked in front of me. To watch it drip down your face and your chest." One of his hands rose to my cheek and slid down my neck to my chest, further insinuating his vision. My skin crawled at the very same envisioning that was getting him so riled and excited. "Danny..." My voice was small and shakey. "God the things I would do to you after-"
"Danny!" I shouted his name, interrupting his thought. I swiveled around on my heel quick and faced him with a somewhat scared and concerned expression. He didn't look surprised. His expression shifted almost melancholy at my choice of reaction.
"(Y/N). You're the one who wanted to know me better. You're the one who let me in. Now...I'm letting you in." He grabbed my wrist and pulled me towards him, putting his lips right next to my ear.
"I don't ever want to regret that decision. I want you to see me for entirely who I am and want me all the same."
My heart was racing in my chest and the feeling of butterflies had transformed into that of rats trapped in a mousetrap, trying to claw themselves out to safety.
"(Y/N), come with me tonight." He whispered demonically into my ear. "No!" I shouted, and in a fight or flight response I shoved him away. Just as soon as I had done it, I regretted it. I looked at his expression. This time he looked somewhat shocked at my reaction. At this point, nothing else mattered. I ran out of the kitchen, up the stairs and into my room where I slammed the door and locked it.
So much for relaxing.

I sat on the floor beside my bed, leaning into it and holding my head in my hands.
"What the FUCK. What the FUCK." I said out loud, trying to comprehend exactly what the fuck had just happened. He was being so sweet! And then he ruined it! He ruined this beautiful moment we were having to talk about killing people and making me be an accomplice in it!
But could I really be surprised?
After a while I began to calm down slightly.
I reconciled with myself. Those softer moments make me forget he truly is a psychopath. A serial killer. A monster.
I just let those thoughts leave my mind when he shows his kinder side. But then I'm harshly reminded.

I was always fascinated and drawn to serial killers. I loved watching documentaries and reading books about them, but it was so different to live in a reality of it. All those desires and dreams were just fantasies where nothing could go wrong and everything would play out in my favor. But in the reality of living with and loving a killer, you never know when it will be your last. Will he kiss me goodnight and make me breakfast in the morning, or slit my throat after I fall asleep and bury me under the floorboards?
Wasn't that an Edgar Allen Poe story? I thought to myself.
I sighed and rubbed my eyes. You would really think I'd be used to it by now, but I suppose I often lured myself into a false sense of security. Danny could probably be more comparable to a pet tiger. It could be a really loving creature, but also dangerous and turn violent at any moment. Perhaps a panther was more fitting for him, considering his wardrobe was all black. That's right, the ghost of a black panther was prowling my halls.
And I let it.