Chapter 3 - Imperial Forces Lands on the Japanese Mainland

This will be the beginning of Chapter 3.

- Yamaga

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3-1

On January 1, 1542, the officers of the Imperial Japanese Army and Navy who were rushing to Okinawa were not sincerely celebrating the New Year. No, most of them felt as if they had arrived not in the past but in another world.

"Squad leader. I am strangely missing the taste of zoni."

"Stop complaining. Just be thankful for the mochi."

"This is Japan, right?"

"There was no dried bonito flakes or kelp in Okinawa 400 years ago. So don't complain."

In one infantry squad, one of the soldiers had those exchanges with his squad leader, and similar conversations were frequent in other squads.

It was not surprising that these Imperial forces soldiers were not in the New Year's mood. After all, the Okinawans were going about their daily lives as if they were wondering why they were celebrating the New Year.

(This is because Okinawa at that time naturally lived by the old lunisolar calendar, and this day was Day 5 of Month 12. The same is true in Japan, where this date is Day 15 Month 12 of the 10th Year of Tenbun.)

And then, the upper echelons of the Imperial forces saw it.

"Even though we knew it was coming, it is really strange to have a different calendar."

"It's not that we didn't use the lunar calendar at all in our daily lives, but I can't say I'm happy to see how different it is from the one we used to use."

Such a conversation, for example, took place between Lieutenant Generals Tomoyuki Yamashita and Sōsaku Suzuki. Both of them were able to eat a hearty zoni. However, because of the dishes mentioned before, both of them had to eat them with frowns on their faces.

"By the way, what are you going to do about that man?"

"I will discuss the matter with Vice Admiral Kondō, and I will take action, including punishment," Yamashita said.

"I see."

The reason why Yamashita and the others were in Okinawa?

It was to quickly march the Imperial forces to the Japanese mainland early in the new year and defeat the renegades who disrespected the Emperor. Not content with following the greatest rebel in Japanese history, Takauji Ashikaga, and tormenting the Yoshino court ruled by the rightful Emperor to the bone, the samurai and rebels who have been tormenting the Emperor for over 100 years must be converted and righteous Japan must be restored as soon as possible.

"Even so, we must swiftly eliminate the wickedness and make His Majesty's reign a time of equality for all people."

"Agreed. The rebels who defy the will of the sovereign must be destroyed. In particular, the Tokugawa and their retainers."

"For more than two hundred years, the Tokugawa clan and their retainers have been tormenting the Emperor, despite the fact that they are only vassals, subject only to the prohibition of the Emperor and the various laws of the court. This must be avoided at all costs. It is only natural that we should take precautionary measures to that end."

Even such a boisterous conversation was exchanged between Yamashita and Suzuki early in the New Year.

Now, who was 'that man' called? That is to say...