Epilogue (Part 2)

This will be the epilogue of Part 2.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1

Information that a large-scale gold mining site had been discovered in a colony on the west coast of North America reached the Japanese mainland, causing the whole country to spring to life. While the Japanese government quickly tried to secure the site and a large number of people prepared to emigrate to the area to mine for gold, others with other agendas naturally emerged.

"If Ashikaga ceases to exist, Kira will succeed them, and if Kira ceases to exist, Imagawa will succeed them."

Yoshimoto Imagawa was talking to a priest in front of him.

"It is true that this is what the world has been saying for a long time."

The priest in front of him, Sessai Taigen, affirmed Yoshimoto's words and continued.

"What do you want me to do?"

"Hm. I believe that the Matsudaira and Mizuno clans who went to North America were somewhat related to our Imagawa clan."

"There is certainly a connection. The Matsudaira and Mizuno clans were banished from Mikawa and Owari mainly because of the Imperial forces' intentions, but also because our Imagawa clan was complicit behind the scenes," Sessai answered.

Sessai was not a mere priest (Zen monk). He was the abbot of the Myōshin-ji Temple of the Rinzai sect, a famous temple in Kyoto, and was a high priest recognized by Emperor Go-Nara.

But on the other hand, Sessai served as a tutor for Yoshimoto, who had been ordained for a time, partly because he was from the Ihara clan, a vassal of the Imagawa. Furthermore, Sessai was instrumental in Yoshimoto's return to the clan and becoming the head of the Imagawa clan after a fight for the clan title, and for his efforts, he became Yoshimoto's assistant. He was later called the "black-robed chancellor of the Imagawa clan," and at one time wielded so much power in the Imagawa clan that he was considered by both within and without the Imagawa to be the person who would control the diplomatic and military affairs of the Imagawa clan.

However, when the Imperial forces came to Japan and the Ashikaga Shogunate was overthrown by their campaign to march to the capital, Sessai quickly realized that time was running out and he put the blame for the Imagawa clan's past deeds on those around him as much as possible. On the other hand, in order not to cause too much resentment among the Imagawa clan, Sessai took all the responsibility for the political maneuvering on his own as soon as he saw that it was successful. His maneuvering was nothing short of brilliant, and even those around him who should have condemned him praised him.

On the same day, Yoshimoto, who had come to Kyoto, visited Myōshin-ji to renew an old acquaintanceship and asked Sessai for confidential advice.

"The Imagawa clan would like to venture to North America, but what measures could we take against the Matsudaira and Mizuno clans?"

"This is not a question for a monk who has left the secular world," Sessai answered Yoshimoto's question with a smile. He quickly looked around, and after a moment of silent contemplation, he said, "First of all, you should give up the desire to monopolize. You should be able to get even half of what you need."

"Giving up the desire to monopolize?"

"Or you could join forces with the Takeda and Hōjō clans, who have ties with the Imagawa clan, and use them to venture out to North America."

The two men began an almost Zen dialogue.

"With the Takeda and Hōjō clans..."

"The Imagawa clan is too greedy to do it alone. Therefore, you must bring others into the fold."