Chapter 11 - Meanwhile, in Australia

This will be the beginning of a new chapter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11-1

Zhang Jingxiu had a fear that Yoshiko Kamisato, his granddaughter-in-law, might become the mistress of his son-in-law, Shoichi Kamisato. As a result, after being reluctant to say it out loud, Zhang Jingxiu ended up sitting around the Kamisato family's dining table with his family.

After exchanging some casual news, Zhang Jingxiu decided to change the subject.

"I hear that winters in Japan are different from those in Manila, Ryukyu, and Ayutthaya."

"Yes, it is really cold."

Zhang Jingxiu's daughter, Aiko Kamisato (Zhang Wa), immediately joined and followed up with a few words.

"We put on woolen clothes and stayed inside to survive."

However...

"I think you didn't want to leave the house because you were so cold, mother," Yoshiko immediately interrupted mockingly.

Hearing this, Aiko bristled, prompting Shoichi to immediately spoke up.

"Yoshiko, apologize to your mother. You've been holed up in the house with all your clothes on, too, you know."

"Yeaaah, my bad," Yoshiko said just like Shoichi had told his father-in-law, a quirky girl.

Zhang Jingxiu wondered if the relationship between Aiko and Yoshiko, which was more of a sisterly relationship than a mother-and-daughter relationship, or even a love rivalry, would not trouble Shoichi. As a matter of fact, considering that the age difference between Aiko and Yoshiko is about 6 years, the age difference between Shoichi and Aiko is about 12 years, and the age difference between Shoichi and Yoshiko is about 18 years, it was not surprising at all that Shoichi and Yoshiko have a lover's relationship.

As a matter of fact, there was no blood relationship between Shoichi and Yoshiko, so Aiko's concern was understandable, and if Yoshiko is completely willing to do so, the relationship would be up to Shoichi's conscience (that as an adopted parent and child, the relationship is not allowed).

As Zhang Jingxiu was thinking about this, Shoichi turned to him to change the subject.

"By the way, do you know where the wool that is used to make Japanese wool fabric comes from, father?"

"Well, I don't think there's something like that in Japan. Do you import it from Ming Dynasty or Tartary?" Zhang Jingxiu said, trying to make sense of what Shoichi was talking about.

Yoshiko interrupted.

"Recently, a lot of it comes from Australia. Why is it called Australia? The Imperial forces called it so."

"Well, it was the Imperial forces that came up with it here. And there are a lot of Australian and New Zealand wools," Shoichi said.

"Oho."

Trying to fit into the conversation and distract from the dangerous relationship, Zhang Jingxiu continued.

"Why is there so much wool from Australia and New Zealand?"

"Well, to put it simply, it is because we sent the Shogun and Ashikaga clan members to Australia and New Zealand," Shoichi responded. "When the Ashikaga clan members were sent there, they were accompanied by the servants and magistrates who had served them."

"Why would they do that?"

"The shogunate officials and magistrates were concerned that if they remained in Japan, they might be subjected to difficulties (by the Imperial forces). Furthermore, because they were members of the Ashikaga clan, the Kogakubō and Oyumikubō were also sent there, their officials and magistrates also accompanied the shogun."