Chapter 29 - Situation on the Japanese Mainland Circa 1568, etc.

This is the beginning of a new chapter.

- Yamaga

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

29-1

Now, the stage and situation changed once more. Between the end of 1568 and the beginning of 1569, the envoy from Japan led by Chief Minister Sakihisa Konoe, who should have returned to Japan proper by the end of 1568, found themselves unable to return and were still sailing towards mainland Japan.

This was an unsurprising turn of events in retrospect. While they were supposed to return to Japan once negotiations with the Ottoman Empire were concluded, they found themselves in a situation where they had to negotiate a ceasefire treaty with Spain (and Portugal), prompted by the unauthorized capture of Gibraltar by the Japanese colonies in North America, as well as negotiate with the Barbary pirates. Negotiating with the Ottoman Empire alone was difficult enough, but having to deal with Spain (and Portugal) and then the Barbary pirates as well meant that the necessary time was far from sufficient, inevitably leading to a situation where they would have to return home beyond the turn of the year.

However, not all members of the envoy were entirely resigned to this situation. It was the reality they had to face.

"Those in North America had attacked Gibraltar on their own, and even fought the Barbary pirates. What was the Japanese government thinking? After returning to Japan proper, I must report this to His Majesty and ensure they are severely punished."

"Your anger is understandable. However, I humbly ask for leniency as I bow my head repeatedly."

In response to the Chief Minister's indignation, Yoshiko Oda bowed while inwardly taking a slanted view of the situation.

There was another reason behind Chief Minister Konoe's anger, of course. It was the fact that they couldn't return to Japan proper by the end of 1568. While this might seem trivial, the end of the year and the beginning of the new year were crucial times for various imperial ceremonies, including the New Year's rites. In actuality, these ceremonies were conducted by the members of the Bureau of Onmyō under the Ministry of Divinities (in this world), but they were important rituals in which even the Chief Minister participated.

However, with Chief Minister Konoe absent during the end of 1568 and the beginning of 1569, it fell to Minister Haruyoshi Nijō, whom Chief Minister Konoe considered his archenemy, to attend as the head of the government, which was a situation that greatly displeased him. Nevertheless, even Chief Minister Konoe couldn't openly say that these court ceremonies should not be conducted until his return. Therefore, Chief Minister Konoe found himself increasingly frustrated with the situation.

Furthermore, to add insult to injury, Yoshiko Oda felt relieved deep down that she couldn't return to mainland Japan by the end of the year due to these court ceremonies. Honestly, after all, Yoshiko had been appointed as a court lady for the first time in centuries. As a result, during these court ceremonies, Yoshiko was at a loss as to what she should do, as the knowledge of how to conduct herself as a court lady had been lost in the Bureau of Onmyō.

Yoshiko would have preferred to simply announce her absence from the court ceremonies, but the Ministry of Divinities disagreed. Indeed, from the time Yoshiko was appointed as a court lady until she departed for negotiations with the Ottoman Empire, there were barely ten days, yet she received numerous inquiries from the Bureau of Onmyō about her role in the court ceremonies.

While Yoshiko primarily responded with "I leave it to you," this led to misunderstandings and pressure on the Bureau of Onmyō.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~