Chapter 21 - Pirates of the Caribbean

The Caribbean will be the main setting in the new chapter.

- Yamaga

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

21-1

Flashback a little bit.

"Based on the celestial observations, we can probably see the mouth of the Mississippi River."

"Finally, we've arrived."

In June 1562, aboard eleven Japanese Navy motorsailers, the crew members embarked on a daring expedition from San Diego to Acapulco, loaded as much coal as they could there, and then set out to circumnavigate South America to finally reach the port of New Orleans.

It was no easy task, much like solving a difficult puzzle. Indeed, it is undeniable that starting something for the first time is the hardest. But just because the first endeavor succeeded doesn't mean the subsequent ones will be smooth sailing; that's the reality of it. This expedition undertaken by the eleven Japanese motorsailers, circumventing South America, was precisely such a challenging endeavor. Thus, for those who had actually accomplished it, arriving at the port of New Orleans filled them with deep emotions and relief.

To be precise, the eleven ships did manage to reach the port of New Orleans without any significant problems during combat navigation. However, when traversing the Murakami (Drake) Passage, there were casualties, missing crew members due to bad weather, and they eventually faced a shortage of coal. They had to resort to extreme measures like using sails and burning wood to make it to the port of New Orleans, which was a real struggle.

And what they were greeted with left some crew members of the naval sailing ships feeling peculiar and emotional.

"That's a three left-facing tomoe flag."

"And there's a circle with the character for 'ue' on it flying too."

Upon hearing the report from a lookout who didn't know the circumstances, Commander Munekatsu Nomi quietly shed tears and muttered to himself.

"Aren't those the crests of the Kobayakawa and the Murakami clans? This isn't some port in Geiyo like Mihara. I really should scold Lieutenant Commander Takeyoshi Murakami for his antics openly and praise him in private. But, to think that the pirates from Geiyo would engage in piracy in the Caribbean Sea... Oh wait, not piracy, but rather a commerce disruption operation."

Munekatsu was born into the Ura, a branch family of the Kobayakawa clan. Furthermore, he was related to Lieutenant Commander Takeyoshi Murakami as well. Under such circumstances, the fact that the crests of both the Kobayakawa and Murakami clans were flying together in New Orleans' port was truly an emotional situation that brought tears to his eyes. Normally, it should be virtually impossible for the Kobayakawa and Murakami crests to be seen together anywhere other than near the Geiyo region, especially in the Seto Inland Sea. However, at this moment, the crests of both families were indeed flying together in the Caribbean Sea. Moreover, they were not imitations but genuine ones.

In New Orleans harbor, there was Dōhei Kobayakawa (Masamichi Kamisato), who had married into the Numata Kobayakawa clan. Hence, it was only natural for the crest of the Kobayakawa clan to be flying. Takeyoshi, as the head of the Noshima Murakami family, was also in a rightful position. Thus, while it might not seem appropriate for him to fly the crest of the Murakami clan as a naval officer, it was a situation that could hardly be criticized.

Munekatsu believed that his immediate superior, Admiral Narikata Kodama, the commander of the navy units deployed to Central and South America, who sent them to the Caribbean Sea, would understand his feelings. No, perhaps Admiral Kodama, being from Aki himself, had anticipated this to some extent. So, why not show that the pirates from Geiyo are formidable not only in the Seto Inland Sea but also in the Caribbean?