Chapter 3.

12 days left

I stare at my emotionless face in the mirror. Today, Vivan and his family are going to come for the engagement ceremony.

Aditi bhabhi was doing my makeup while mom was busy with pinning my the drape of my saree.

"Your eyes look swollen", Aditi bhabhi said, tutting her tongue. "Why were you crying so much? You are getting married for God's sake. You should be happy. Even if you didn't want it now but you would have to do it one day or another. Also Vivan is a very good guy. He would keep you like a queen and you will be the happiest and the luckiest girl on this whole freaking planet. Now, cheer up".

I didn't fight back because there is no point. I cannot tell them that I don't want money as long as I have Hamid by my side. I don't want to become someone else's queen when I am already Hamid's.

I cannot do anything to stop this. I cannot talk to Hamid and make a plan. I am powerless.

"Mom", Parth bhaiya, said as he came inside my room. "They are here".

My mom nodded at him and he exited the room after giving me an apologetic smile.

I don't want apologies. I want to be free and live with Hamid.

Bhabhi quickly did my makeup and when mom called, she took me outside.

The hall was decorated with flowers and lights. My relatives had also reached. I was meeting them just now because I didn't come out of my room. More like I wasn't let out of my room.

Traditional wedding songs were being sung by some elderly women. A woman, about my mom's age came to me and hugged me. She was apparently Vivan's mother.

"I am so glad that you are going to be my daughter-in-law", she told and kissed me on forehead.

I just faked a smile. I touched Vivan's mother's and father's feet.

My father was smiling so big and why not? He was finally going to be the owner of shares in the Malhotra company.

Their alliance is going to ruin three lives. Mine, Hamid's and Vivan's.

I was just standing awkwardly at the side of the couch before my dad came to me, wrapping his arm around my shoulder, making me sit beside Vivan on the couch.

Wow! I thought that I was the only one here faking but my dad just broke my record.

"Hi", Vivan whispered.

I looked at him and flashed my fake smile.

"This marriage means nothing to me", he said. "I am doing this for my dad and I am warning you to not do anything that would ruin our reputation".

There goes another contestant in the Playing fake game. Who do you think is going to win? Me, Vivan or my father?

"I am also not dying to get married to you", I whispered back harshly. "I am also forced into this maybe even more than you".

He rolled his eyes and plastered a big smile on his face.

Our mothers came to us with the pooja plates in their hands. They applied the tika and did the arti.

Bhabhi gave us the engagement rings and I could see Piyush smiling deviously at me. I glared at him.

"Jiju, all the best for handling this psychopath", Piyush said and everyone laughed considering it as a joke. Well! It was a taunt.

Vivan snickered and slid the ring on my finger. Bhabhi handed me the ring and I just froze there.

All the flashbacks of Hamid and me, coming back. I could see us lost in the memory because all of that was coming to an end. We would remain a memory forever.

Tears brimmed my eyes and hands shook. I could not do anything and Hamid's words rand in my ears.

"Promise?"

"Promise".

Bhabhi nudged me with her elbow. I looked around and everyone was looking at me expectantly.

"She is just nervous", dad said, smiling. I fear that if he smiles anymore, his teeth are going to fall out. Oh! How I wish it could be true!

I sighed and slid the ring on his finger, ignoring the pain in my heart.

Nothing can save us now.