Chapter 9

Third Person's POV

It was late afternoon. Piya was still baffled by the news that Vivan's father had told her. She couldn't believe her father can stoop down to this level.

Piya and Amir sat across from each other at a small table in the backyard. It was quiet there and nobody was around. Amir needed to talk to her about Hamid and wanted to sort the problem between the couple.

Piya had a coffee mug in her hand, steam rising from her mug. The air was thick with tension.

Amir leaned in and said, "Piya, we’ve been friends for ages. You can’t keep avoiding Hamid forever. It’s like dodging banana peels on a rainy day—eventually, you’ll slip!" He was eating a banana and he thought that using it as an example was a good choice.

Piya sipped her coffee, avoiding eye contact with him. "Amir, you don’t understand. Hamid did something really terrible yesterday".

"He told me everything. I know its very bad but at least give him a chance to explain. This is how a relationship works. You can't ignore him forever. Trust me, I’ve seen enough rom-coms to know. Piya, life isn’t a ruler. It’s more like a rollercoaster. Ups, downs, loop-de-loops—you name it. And Hamid? He’s the loop-de-loop you’ve been avoiding. It’s time to face it".

"But he acted so different yesterday. It was so unlike him", Piya said with a huff.

Amir replied, "Hamid’s not a monster. He acted impulsively at that moment. He’s more like a ripe banana—sweet, with a hint of adventure".

Piya raised an eyebrow and said, "Adventure? He’s a spreadsheet-loving accountant!".

"Exactly! Imagine the thrill of balancing those numbers. The adrenaline rush when he finds a hidden tax loophole. Piya, you’re missing out on spreadsheet romance!", Amir said, grinning widely.

Piya laughed, "Spreadsheet romance? You’re ridiculous".

Amir leaned in again and said, "Look, Piya, life’s too short to hide behind coffee cups and excuses. You know what they say: “When life gives you bananas, make banana bread.” Or was it lemons? Whatever. The point is, talk to Hamid. Sort things out. He’s waiting for you to peel back those layers".

"Fine, I’ll talk to him. But if this ends in disaster, I’m blaming you", Piya said, taking a deep breath.

"Disaster or not, at least it won’t be a spreadsheet disaster. Now go, my banana warrior! Conquer those feelings!", Amir winked at her.

________________

Piya and Hamid were sitting inside his room on a weathered wooden bench, the air thick with tension.

Hamid was looking down and with a shaky voice, he said, "Piya, I… I need to talk to you. About what happened earlier"

Piya crossed her arms, eyes still hurt. She swallowed the lump rising in her throat and said, "Go ahead, Hamid. I’m listening".

Hamid took a deep breath and said,
"I saw you with Vivan, and something inside me snapped. Jealousy, anger—I don’t know. It was like a storm cloud blocking out reason. I shouted at you, treated you terribly. And for that, I am truly sorry".

Piya softened a bit after listening this.

"You scared me, Hamid. I’ve never seen you like that. Why did you react so impulsively?"

Hamid said, looking into her eyes,
"Because I care about you, Piya. More than I can express. When I saw Vivan, it felt like he was encroaching on our space, our love. I lost control. But that’s no excuse. I should have trusted you, believed in us".

"Trust is the foundation of any relationship, Hamid. We can’t let jealousy destroy what we have. But why did you think Vivan was a threat?", Piya said in a gentle voice.

Hamid paused for a moment, choosing his words, "Vivan… he’s charming, confident. I felt inadequate next to him. And when I saw you laughing with him, it triggered all my insecurities. I lashed out because I was afraid of losing you".

Piya leaned in closer and said, "Hamid, you don’t need to compete with anyone. You’re enough. Our love is enough. But you have to promise me something".

Hamid nodded and said, "Anything".

Piya gave him a soft smile, "Promise that next time, instead of shouting, you’ll talk to me. We’ll face our fears together. And remember, love isn’t about possession; it’s about trust and understanding".

Hamid's voice broke as he uttered, "I promise, Piya. I’ll work on my impulsive reactions. I’ll trust you always. Can you forgive me?".

Piya reached out for his hand, holding it in hers.

"I forgive you, Hamid. But remember, apologies are just words. It’s our actions that truly matter. Show me you’ve learned from this, and we’ll weather any storm together".

Hamid hugged her tightly, a few tears escaping his eyes. Everything was alright between them

..... At least, for now.