Chapter 11

"Are you sure you want to do this?", Vivan asked.

Piya wasn't having a good feeling about this. At first, when Hamid introduced this idea, she agreed thinking that she would be free and be with him. That was a bit selfish of her because at the moment, she didn't think of anything else. She just saw herself and Hamid together.

But now as she was sitting with Vivan, all the consequences of their plan were running through her mind. She thought about how their act would tarnish her father's reputation. He would be called 'a liar', 'a cheater', 'a traitor', and what not.

She didn't really care about that but it would affect Vivan and his father too. It is his company's project, his pride and he was ready to give up on that. Why?

He was doing this all for the sake of her happiness.

She wasn't happy getting married to him. If they got married, she would be tied in an unwanted relationship forever. He couldn't bear to see that sadness on her face. He didn't want to cage her.

Piya felt her eyes brimming with tears. She was feeling so ashamed of herself that she was doing injustice with Vivan.

"And are you ready to do this? You know the outcomes, right? It would cause you a great loss".

"Piya, this is a bad idea", he told. "But if it helps you to be with the one you love", he took a pause, gazing into her eyes with unsaid emotions. The things which he will never tell her.

"I will do it".

This was all she needed to hear. She leaped forward, throwing her arms around him. A few tears escaping her eyes.

Vivan was shocked for a moment. This was the last thing that he was expecting at this moment. He was never used to physical touches and hugs. In fact, he hates it when someone does that.

He never let any girl touch him, except for his mother. Not even his sister, Geet.

Yet, being in Piya's arms felt different. He could feel his heartbeat quickening and their proximity, making him lose his ability to think straight. He expected to flinch, to pull away, but her embrace was like a gentle spell. Her arms wrapped around him, cocooning him in a softness he hadn’t known existed.

He sat there frozen at his place. Before he could even react, Piya removed her hands from his body.

"I-i am sorry", she said, tearing her eyes away from him. Her cheeks were flushed because of embarrassment.
"I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable".

Vivan took out a handkerchief from his pocket and handed it to her.

"It is okay, Piya", he said, clearing his throat. He would never admit it to anyone but he liked that feeling and maybe, somewhere he wanted to experience it again.

Piya wiped away her tears and said, "I have decided Vivan. We will not execute this plan".

He looked at her with confusion laced over his face. "Really? How come you changed your mind?".

She was looking down at the ground, fighting a battle within herself. She was contemplating whether she should trust Vivan or not. Hamid was already breaking her trust slowly and it was hard for her to risk it again.

But she decided to do so. Risking it again and told him, "I am trusting you on this. I-i".

Her hands were shaking slightly as spoke about her dilemma. Vivan didn't know how to comfort her in her weak moment. He hesitated but then put his arm around her shouder.

Piya felt grateful. She appreciated his gesture of comforting her. What she didn't know was Vivan was never like this. The wall that he had built for everyone, crumpled right there.

He shifted closer, the warmth of his body seeping through the fabric of her cotton top. Piya leaned into him and closed her eyes.

"I think Hamid is hiding something", she finally spoke. "A few days ago, I went to his room and I found a phone there. I asked him whose it was and he told me it was Amir's. I believed that. Yesterday, when we were there, I saw that phone again, under the bedsheet. It seemed like he was hiding it from us. Remember, when we were returning to our rooms, I asked Amir in front of you if he had left his phone back in Hamid's room and he told  that it wasn't his".

Vivan thought for a moment and then spoke, "Okay, I can understand your suspicion but what could he possibly be hiding. You have been in a relationship with him for two years. Didn't you ever notice this before?".

Piya pondered over this. Replaying every moment she was with him but couldn't find a single one where he gave her a chance to question him.

"I never did", she said in a meek voice. "Maybe, I was so foolish and totally blinded by my love for him".

"Don't worry, we will figure this out", he said.

Piya nodded against his chest.