Chapter 1

Breo's POV

Too tired and confused to focus on what was going on around me I watch the rain drops flow slowly down the window I'm leaning my head against, letting the faint patter of the rain distract me from the cold and my shaking hands.

"Miss?" A voice interrupts my thoughts and I turn away from the window to see where it's coming from. I look up to see the bus driver standing slightly over me, with a blank but stern look on her face.

"This is the last stop, we're at San Antonio." She smiles briefly after her sentence while she looks at me tightly holding onto my bag. I keep my head down, afraid to make eye contact while I stand up slowly. She backs away as I stand up from my seat and I pause- looking back briefly to see if I forgot anything before getting off the bus.

Adjusting my backpack straps on my back I look around the bus station, it's mostly empty apart from the few people who were on the same bus I was on. I hold tightly onto Pooh Bear in my pocket for some reassurance, feeling the cold and heavy rain hit my body- hoping it will prompt me to figure out what I should do next.

Quickly running to a shelter under the bus station I decide to try to find map. I have no phone and don't know anyone here, but I try to stay focused. The wind blows more rain to my direction, making the decision to stand under shelter futile as I now stand almost completely soaked from head to toe.

I take a deep breath and wipe my glasses with the inside of my sleeve before deciding to walk. The anxiety of being in an unfamiliar place scared me, but it didn't scare me more than Nathan finding me again. My eyes begin to well up and my stomach starts to turn as I reflect on the events of the past few days- everything hurts and I just want to feel safe.

Adjusting the hood of my very thin jacket over my afro hair, I walk towards anywhere that seems heavily lit. I continue walking for around 30 minutes while the evening begins to set in. I walk past various shops, groups of people and parties but nowhere I can stay. Or at least nowhere I think will accept $50 and some change to spend the night. Spending all my money on a bus from San Angelo seemed like the right decision to make at the time, but now I feel stupid for not accounting for what I'll do now that I'm here.

Still walking, I cut through a few car parks and underpasses, knowing I'm better off finding a shopping strip or a petrol station now that it's so dark. Wiping my large round frames again I let out a sigh of relief as I see a gas station in front of me, but pause once I realise I'm too scared talk to whoever is in there on my own.

Making my way to the entrance I pull my hood down, the rain had subsided a little and I was already wet, so there wasn't much point in keeping it up. The bell on the shop door makes my ears ring slightly and I walk around the shop briefly to build up some courage before walking to the register.

The growing hunger in my tummy makes me contemplate buying a snack to ease the pain, but I need all the money I have so I can find somewhere to stay the night.

Clearing my throat slightly I begin to speak while staring at my feet.

"You alright sweetheart?" The man asks from behind the counter. He was a slightly older man with shoulder length grey hair and a worn out baseball cap on. His long moustache covered most of his top lip, which moved exaggeratively as he chewed his gum.

I nod quickly in response trying to force some words out. Starting to feel overwhelmed I clamp up, but speak anyway because this is my only option.

"H-Hotel..n-near here?" I ask quietly, hoping I was loud enough for him to hear me.

"You need a hotel?"

I nod in response again, vigorously this time so he knows I've heard him.

"There may be a motel 3 blocks that way." He points and I follow the direction of his hand with my eyes as he gestures to the direction I've just come from.

"Okay." I nod, holding Pooh bear in my pocket again for some comfort. "Thank you." I almost whisper to him, before hastily making my way out of the station. Sighing again, tears begin to fill my eyes, and I slowly start to regret my decision to leave. At least before I was somewhere warm, now I don't know where I am and can't afford to get back to San Angelo.

My light tears turn to heavy sobs as I let myself cry at the end of the street, a few steps away from the station. The rain begins to fall again, adding to my feelings of hopelessness as I decide to give up, not caring what happens to me next.

I drop to my knees, feeling the hard pavement hit my skin, placing my head in my hands before wincing from the pain in my face. Everything hurts and I want to go home.

Continuing to sob I see the bright headlights of a truck before it drives past me, overwhelming me even more. I shouldn't have left Nathan, I should've stayed.