Chapter 19

Javier's POV

As soon as I finish speaking Breo jumps up from the couch excitedly, causing the many curls in her hair to bounce with her.

With her room door now open I talk to the guy out front and tell him to make sure everyone is out of the house. Most of the guys are out somewhere on the lot but there's no harm in being cautious. I hate anticipating how shit will go if she ever meets the Siete. Do I want her to meet them? Do they need to?

Sighing to myself I walk downstairs with her slowly, realising she's taking more time on the steps than usual.

"You alright?" I ask, hoping she'll answer honestly.

"I think my leg hurts a little bit." She looks at me with sad eyes for a moment before taking another step and wincing.

Noticing the concern in my face she gives me a small smile, but I'm too focused on wanting to help her to reciprocate. I wonder how much is going on with her that I don't know about- wishing for a moment that I could be someone she could confide in, but I can't be. Or at least I shouldn't be.

"Here." I say while taking another step, standing slightly closer to her. "Hold onto me."

I watch her look at me with hesitant eyes before resting her hand gently on my shoulder, as if she was worried I'd break.

I laugh a little from how cautious she's being.

"How about this." I continue while standing directly in front of her, still standing a step below.

"Come on." I tell her reassuringly. Unable to see her face I lean backwards so she can get on my back, allowing her to take her time.

"The sooner we get downstairs the sooner we can have pancakes?" I say encouragingly, trying to let her know that she can be herself with me, hoping none of my guys can hear how soft I'm being with her right now.

"Oh...okay." The shyness in her voice quickly fades as she gets on my back, wrapping her arms around my shoulders tightly.

"Seatbelts on?" I joke around, hearing nothing but laughter in response. A weird feeling spreads through my chest for a moment as her laugh fills the hall but I ignore it.

Finally in the kitchen I place her on the counter top and gather the ingredients we need. It took a minute since I barely cook here but Theresa is organised so I figured out where everything is soon enough. The sound of items being placed on the counter echo through the room as Breo hums quietly to herself, sitting patiently.

Standing in here I can definitely tell this place isn't used often, it's a large but standard stainless steel kitchen with minimal appliances apart from the coffee maker and microwave. If anything when Teresa is not around it's used as extra liquor storage, since it's so close to the living area G normally throws parties in.

"So, have you never cooked anything before or just never made pancakes?" I question, filling the silence.

I turn to see Breo looking at me intently, swinging her long legs gently while shrugging.

"I've cooked food before."

Expecting more of an answer I question her again.

"What kinda stuff did you make?"

"Stuff for Nathan." She says with another shrug, making me realise why her first answer was short.

I notice her hands grip the edge of the table as she finishes her sentence and I regret asking her immediately. Only god knows what kind of memories I'm making her relive right now. I've never wanted to kill a Pendejo so bad, how the fuck could someone hurt someone like her?