Chapter 52

Javier's POV

The call hangs up and I turn to G immediately, giving him the address of the apartment I'm currently staying in as he pulls out of the shipping dock. "Drive as fast as you can."

"Is she okay?" He asks, genuinely sounding concerned, surprising me for a second.

"I don't know man." I say blankly, trying to process what the fuck is going on. I reach up to rub my forehead slightly, trying to relieve the pressure building in my head, before realising my hands are still covered in Pedro's blood.

A sharp pain spreads through my chest but I barely notice, it's nothing in comparison to the sick feeling building in my stomach. How many times am I almost going to lose her? Is this a sign or something?

I quickly take off my hoodie, aggressively trying my best to wipe all the blood off of my hands before we get to the apartment. G looks at me unnervingly, and he's right to, because I look and feel like I've lost my mind.

How much longer am I going to have to deal with this shit?

I think about Bre, scared and alone, not knowing who the fuck is about to come through the front door. With the work I do I know I can't call the cops for help even if I wanted to, but it seems I can't rely on myself to keep her safe either- and it frustrates the hell out of me.

I think about how safe she would be if we weren't together, if she was with some regular guy that did a 9-5, and how she could've gone her whole life without fearing for her life like this. Without hearing the sound of bullets flying over her head and having to hide for her safety- but instead she's with me.

The selfish part is, I know there isn't a single part of me that wants to let her go. I can protect her, but how long will it take for me to realise that I'm just protecting her from myself?

The events of the night rush through my mind, as I picture Pedro looking lifeless in my arms- did shit really have to go down that way?

G continues driving, speeding through traffic and running through red lights, taking back roads to avoid traffic cams. I turn to him slightly, only just now remembering his confession at the dock- a wave of anger flows through me, followed by betrayal.

"How long were you gonna wait to tell me about Arturo?" I question suddenly, breaking the silence.

"Huh?" He asks in confusion, speeding past another car.

"Is that why you didn't come to the meeting a couple days ago?" I follow up, knowing the only reason I haven't kicked his teeth in is because we're on our way to Breo. It took everything in me to not shoot him before Bre called, and I don't know if he'd still be alive if she didn't. Never in my life did I think G would do something like this, and he's done some crazy shit.

He sighs, still concentrating on the road.

"Look man I- I new you didn't trust him, I didn't neither." He explains, slowing down a little when we hear sirens behind us. I hesitate, relaxing a little once I watch them speed past us in the same direction. Until I realise they must be going to the apartment- fuck.

G continues, interrupting my thoughts- and part of me is glad he did, because I feel like I'm about to crash out.

"I knew you didn't trust him but I didn't know how to tell you this shit without shit blowing up in my face." He says with another sigh. "You already don't trust me."

His lack of accountability sets me off, Pedro got shot and Breo might be too, shit blew up in all of our faces regardless.

"Not good enough." I respond through gritted teeth, not having the capacity to go off on him like I wish I could.