Chapter 39

Gabriel's POV

The buzzer sounds as the apartment complex door clicks open, creaking slightly as I enter. I wave briefly at the concierge, making my way to the front desk.

"I'm here to see Breo Williams in 55b." I say with a smile. If I had a key card I wouldn't have to do all this shit to get upstairs but J won't let me anywhere near her- not that I don't understand where he's coming from.

"One moment please." I watch as he adjusts his thin glasses before picking up the phone next to him, a bead of sweat dripping down his shaved head. Damn, he must be hot as hell in that three piece suit, and the heat seems to be on blast in here too, I almost forgot it's October.

"You can go up." He gestures to the door at the other end of the room, I waste no time in making my way up, surprised she'll even let me see her.

Honestly, I haven't seen Breo since I talked to her in J's house all that time ago. J didn't let me see her in hospital either, part of me knows I should've insisted, but I guess I wasn't man enough to face the consequences of my actions. Whether or not her ex could've got to her without me sending her away is out of the question. All I know that whatever the hell is going on, I started it.

In my guilt ridden attempts to make things right I tried to ask Pedro how she is a few times but that stubborn motherfucker doesn't want anything to do with me neither, even Carmen thinks I'm an asshole for telling her to leave.

I swear all this wasn't my intention, but it's not about intentions, it's about all the shit that happened because of it, even though I didn't plan for things to go this way. I'm not an asshole, I just made a dumb decision when I should've known better.

The elevator announces her floor and I look left and right for a moment, noticing the sign that points to doors 50 and up on my right, she must be that way.

Reading over the door number once more I hesitate before knocking, selfishly hoping that she doesn't look half as hurt as I know she is- I know I've done some shit in the past but this is not something I need right now. I hold my breath, pressing the doorbell quickly so I don't have any time to hesitate, waiting for her to answer the door.

I hear a lock turn and the door open slowly, seeing Breo sheepishly standing behind the door before she gestures for me to enter.

"Thank you." I tell her sincerely, hearing the door close behind me once I'm in entryway.

"Y-You can sit down." She tells me shakily, turning to the living area in front of us, her words slightly muffled by some sort of wire in her mouth- her jaw must still be healing. Something about how scared she looks brings a feeling of guilt I can't describe, but I ignore it, sitting at the end of the long couch nearest to the door. I hear her limping behind me slowly, the sound of her large cast knocking against the floor with every step she takes.

J really went all out on this apartment, I can tell he really cares for her. When we initially talked about where he'd take her after the hospital, I suggested one of the other properties he owns instead, but he was so worried about someone finding Breo that he found this apartment and rented it under a different name. I thought he was being a paranoid motherfucker at the time but with that weird shit Arturo pulled today, I'm glad he thought ahead.

I watch her sit at the edge of the couch to the right of me, standing up to open the blinds of one of the floor to ceiling windows behind her, letting some light in before sitting back down. I didn't realise how dark the room was until now.

We sit in silence as I watch her play with her hands nervously, and I end up doing the same thing too, not knowing how the fuck I'm going to start. This is the first time in a while I've been lost for words.