Chapter 16

Javier's POV

I notice a small restaurant parked across the parking lot and decide to go there, turning back to see if Breo is still behind me to slow my pace to match hers. Realising she's probably tired as hell, and is still recovering from what that asshole did to her.

We cross the very quiet street and enter, it's another pizza place. I laugh to myself and then to Breo who seems very happy at the place I've picked. She must really like pizza.

The place was a bit run down but felt authentic, with the red and white theme and diner type booths.

I look up at the menu above the counter and notice Breo doing the same.

"You know what you want?"

She nods and turns to stand closer to me. "A cheese pizza please, and some coke."

Unsurprised by her answer I talk to the guy in front and order for the both of us, before we make our way to our seats.

I decide we should sit at a booth near the back, so is quieter for her.

"You happy to be having pizza again?" I ask jokingly.

"Yes." She says with a grin.

I notice her looking around the room, reading the newspaper articles on the wall and occasionally focusing on what was playing on the tv near the front of the restaurant. Her mouth is always slightly ajar when she concentrates, it's cute.

"Thank you." She says, interrupting the silence.

"You don't need to do that." I respond almost immediately. I've always been awkward when people thank me.

"I'm doing this because I want to, so you don't need to thank me." I explain. She nods and we go back to waiting for our order.

A smaller woman comes up to our table with drinks, placing a beer in front of me and a can of Coke in front of Breo. I open mine and take a few sips, noticing the lady come back not long after with both our pizzas.

"One large buffalo chicken and one large margarita?" The lady says before placing both pizzas down. I place Breo's in front of her first before taking mine.

"Thanks." I say to the lady as she walks away- she looks similar to the guy in front, maybe this place is run by a family.

I look down at my plate to eat and notice Breo hasn't touched her food yet.

"You not hungry anymore?"

"I am, but I don't know if I can start eating yet." Her voice trails off towards the end of her sentence and she adjusts her glasses, I can tell she's feeling embarrassed.

"When you're with me you can start eating whenever you want. Okay?"

"Okay." She says with a slight smile before picking up a slice.

Every time she does something like this I wonder what the hell happened to her. Did her family treat her like this too?

"Do you like pizza lots?" She says while looking at me with genuine eyes. I can tell she's trying to get to know me and I appreciate it.

"I like pizza, it's not my favourite though." I respond honestly.

"Oh." She says with a small frown before continuing. "What is your favourite then?" Her face lights up again and I can't help laughing to myself, I didn't know people this pure were real.

I think to myself for a moment before responding. "You know anything about Mexican food?"

"No." She shakes her head before taking another bite of pizza.