Chapter 28

Nathan's POV

I watch as she walks towards me slowly, holding the straps of her backpack tighter and tighter with each step.

"I don't have time to waste, hurry the fuck up." I spit through gritted teeth, she jumps slightly as she continues to walk behind me, her reaction giving me a feeling I can't explain.

We get to the car and I make sure she enters first, even though she knows better than to run away. Getting her situated in her seat I notice she looks different, her hair is up and she has that piercing in that I hate. She notices me looking at her nose and quickly reaches to tuck the jewellery upwards. Is that what she did when she was with me?

I close the passenger door aggressively and enter the drivers seat, turning on the ignition not long after. The drive to our destination being more silent than I thought it would be. Part of me expected her to beg, cry, something- but every time I turn I watch her hands shake violently in her lap as she keeps her head down. Is she that much of a retard that she can't talk anymore?

A notification sounds through the car and I look at my burner phone briefly before turning back to the road. That tatted nigga and his dumbass goons have been texting every few days to see if the plan is still on. How important is his dumb bitch anyway? I think to the suitcase full of money back at my apartment, realising I'm only a few minutes away from receiving the rest. Whatever she's got going on has nothing to do with me anymore, and her parents will never know- it's the perfect plan.

The traffic light in front of me turns red and I pause abruptly, realising that running a red light is definitely not something I should do right now. Resting my hand on the steering I rub my eyes, regretting the decision to drive to San Antonio in one day.

The light turns green and I think to myself as we're almost at our destination. Why the fuck did they need me to get her?

Rubbing my forehead again I move a few locs out of my face, starting to feel like this deal is too good to be true. They had enough guys to put me in the back of a van, it would take a stuffed animal and a moderately nice man to get Breo in the back of one. $25,000 saved.

I tap the steering wheel again, realising I should've thought this through. I need some leverage, maybe if I know why the fuck they want her I'll have a better chance of receiving full payment- without getting shot up by a gangster mariachi band member.

I stop hastily at the next light, turning in the opposite direction. I booked a motel a couple miles back because I knew I wouldn't drive back to San Angelo tonight, I'll take her there to see if I can get some answers.

I watch Breo look at me sharply as the car jerks sideways, I pay no mind to her, until I notice a tear rolling down her cheek. "There we go." I say out loud, unable to hide my satisfaction, this is exactly what I want. I want her so scared all she can do is cry and plead and beg- I want the chase, maybe I need the control, maybe I can't let her go.

Sitting up in my seat I adjust my posture, one hand still on the wheel. Part of me is tempted to do something before we even get back, but I hold off as I pull into the motel parking lot, dragging her into my room before she has the chance to make a scene.

"Sit." I gesture to her before pointing to one of the two wooden chairs sat in the corner of the room.

She hesitates before sitting slowly, hands tightly clutching her knees, I decide to have some fun while I get this information out of her. A notification rings from my burner again but I ignore it, taking it out of my pocket to throw it down on the bed in front of us.

She gasps as the phone hits the bed and I smile. She must be scared out of her mind right now- and she has every right to be.

"Where you been?" I ask her gently, realising shouting is probably not the best way to get the shit I need out of her.

Her head stays down and I take a small step towards her. "It's okay, just tell me where you've been."

She looks up for a moment, eyes red and puffy before staring back down. "S-San Antonio." Her words shake as they fall out of her mouth.

"With who?" I follow patiently, but get no response.

"Doing what?" I ask further. All she does is shrug her shoulders before bursting into tears.

For a moment I watch her cry, the tears dropping onto her lap giving me a different feeling than before, one I hate to admit.

"Hey come here." I say reassuringly. Before I know it she's stood up, running towards me before she wraps her arms right around me. I want to pull away but don't.

"I'm so sorry." Is all I can make out, her words muffled against my chest. She continues to sob and I stand there, arms still holding her close. I don't say or do anything but wait until her sobbing subsides.

Pulling her away from me slightly I look into her eyes before I begin to speak. She looks away for a moment, then back at me. "What happened in San Antonio?" I question again.

"S-Someone h-helped m-me." She responds between hiccups.

"Who?"

"Someone c-called, J- b-but he h-hurts people." She continues again, before pulling herself back into my chest.

He?

I pull her away from me immediately, causing her to almost fall onto the bed behind us. "He?" I ask.

Her eyes widen and the feeling that I thought was gone in the car has come back. Increasing when I see her hands shake again, watching her stupid attempts to calm down by placing them at her sides.

I don't give a shit about the money anymore, this is a feeling I can't get with anyone else, Breo is mine.

Observing her for a moment I walk closer to the edge of the bed, taking my jacket off before asking another question.

"Who's J?" The buzz of the AC fills the silence as she looks towards me guiltily.

"H-He just helped me, I-I promise."

She starts do sob again and the satisfaction I just felt from fucking around with her, starts to turn into anger.

I move closer to the bed, watching her pull herself into it until she reaches the headboard. "How did he help you?" I pause, clenching my teeth in irritation, "And why the fuck would he help you?" My voice booms through the room and I make no attempt to the quiet, why the fuck was my girlfriend with some random man in San Antonio, was she cheating on me this whole time?

She starts to shake her head vigorously, tears still flowing from her eyes- and I start to see red. "Stand up." Is all I can say, fists clenched.

She continues to cry and my anger becomes harder to contain. "I said stand the fuck up!"

Walking towards her end of the bed she quickly jumps up, backing herself into a corner in an attempt to get away from me. I stop in front of her, wrapping one hand around her throat, squeezing tightly enough to disrupt her breathing. The offer of $25,000 being the last thing on my mind right now.

"You cheated on me?" My chest starts to rise and fall rapidly, in line with my rising temper, if I can't have her, no one fucking can.

Hand still around her throat I slam the back of her head into the wall behind us, watching her lean forward in pain before doing the same thing again.

"I can't believe you'd do this shit to me! After all we've been through!" I push her into the wall once again and take a step back, holding my hands at the back of my head while I watch her struggle to get up, whimpering in pain.

"Fuck!" I exclaim again, my rage becoming more violent by the minute, and I make no attempt to calm myself down.

Turning back to Breo I watch her stand up slowly, pleading with me to stop as if that'll make a difference.

I stand a couple steps away from her, watching her stumble towards me, before quickly pulling open the bathroom door to the right of her and entering, locking it loudly.

I rush towards the door, banging on it aggressively, "Breo open the fucking door!" I hear sobs echo through the walls but I don't give a shit, I swear I'm going to kill her.

"Breo open the fucking door right now!"