"Carlos' Cousin"

Charles' POV:

It took a lot for me to get into formula 1. A lot of sacrifices, a lot of deals made and a shit tone of money. Money doesn't come easy in Monaco, it's a small city with a small selection of jobs. I grew up in a family where we didn't have much, every penny was spent on bills and food but dad always made sure that there was enough money aside for my karting competitions. Karting was my passion, it was different compared to all my friends who played football. It wasn't a cheap sport though, and having a dream of becoming an f1 driver one day meant I had to take things into my own hands if it meant getting there.

I've spent the last 5 years looking over my shoulder every where I go, sitting on edge every second of the day, fearing what could happen to me for what I did. When I was 20 years old, I made a deal with some gang back in Monaco, I loaned £5,000,000 to get my seat in F1, telling my dad that I had gained a sponsorship and they were paying for everything for me. He seemed so happy and proud, I couldn't tell him the truth and by the time I'd built up the courage to actually tell him, he took ill and passed. The guilt of not telling him the truth haunts me every day, but everything I do, I do it for him, this was his dream as well as mine.

The £5,000,000 I owed I only payed £3,500,000 back before the police busted them for a massive drug deal back in Monaco. Even with every single one of them locked up inside, I still wake up every morning thanking god that I've been able to open my eyes and live another day, because as I've learned, nothings ever over until it's declared it's over. I try my best to keep my distance from everyone I love and care about to try and keep them out of this fucked up business, I'd never be able to forgive myself if anything ever happened to them because of my past mistakes. But I can only keep them at arms length for so long. I often sat and wondered to myself if I'd ever be happy in life, if I'd ever be free, settle down, find a nice girl, have a family with her, live my life without being paranoid something may happen to anyone I love. But that is something I have to live with, and I regret it every single day. Looking back at my past, I'd trade my seat in f1 for a care free life back in Monaco any day. I'm 25 years old, by now I could have had a girlfriend, possibly a child, I could have been around my family all day everyday, spent the holidays with them. I'd always imagined in my life I'd own a little house by the sea front, it would have a huge back garden for my kids to play in, I'd always wished to have one boy and one girl. I'd name them Jules and Senna, after my godfather Jules Bianchi and one of the greatest drivers in history Ayrton Senna. I'd have a family to love, to provide for, but instead, I chose to be selfish for my own needs and I regret it every single day.

Carlos has always been one of my closest friends, he failed to tell me that his cousin would be joining us for the week in Bahrain though, that caught me off guard, she caught me off guard. She was a pretty girl, petite frame, perfectly chiselled featured on her face, her skin was an olive colour, slightly lighter that Carlos' but the tiniest bit darker than my own. Her hair was a caramel blonde colour and her freckles appeared neatly spread across her face and shoulders, her eyes were a piercing blue colour which reflected perfectly off the sun and she had a soft Spanish accent when she spoke. There's no denying she was a very beautiful girl, I would never admit that to anyone though, I couldn't allow myself to become close to anyone, especially not Carlos' cousin.