Chapter four

◆Avengers Compound◆

"11 Wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria, last month. The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission in Lagos when the attack occurred." News Anchor #1 said.

"Our people's blood is spilled on foreign soil. Not only because of the actions of criminals, but by the indifference of those pledged to stop them. Victory at the expense of the innocent, is no victory at all." King T'Chaka said.

"The Wakanda king went on to . . ." News Anchor #1 said.

"This can't be good." Rhodey said.

Steve, who was watching the news, turns his computer off, but sound drifts toward him from another room. 

"They are operating outside and above the international law. Because that's the reality, if we don't respond to acts like these." News anchor #2 said.

Wanda is sitting on her bed, watching the news on her TV.

"What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff have to operate in Nigeri -" News anchor #2 said.

The TV turns off. Steve sets the remote down and leans on the door frame.

"It's my fault." Wanda said.

"Wanda we can't save everyone, and if we keep thinking about it we won't be able to concentrate on our next mission." Clint said. 

"That's not true." Steve said.

"Turn the TV back on. They're being very specific." Wanda said looking at the him.

"I should've clocked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it." Steve said.
He walks over.

"Rumlow said "Bucky" and . . . all of a sudden I was a 16-year-old kid again, in Brooklyn." Steve said. He sits beside Wanda.

"And people died. It's on me." Steve said.

"It's on both of us." Wanda said.

"This job . . . we try to save as many people as we can. Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody. But if we can't find a way to live with that, next time . . . maybe nobody gets saved." Steve said.
Everyone Avengers and Fury nodded.

Vision materializes through the wall. Wanda gets startled.

Vision interrupts Wanda and Steve by walking through the wall into Wanda's room.

"You can't just walk through the wall." Sam exclaimed.

"Vis! We talked about this." Wanda said

"Yes, but the door was open so I assumed that . . ." Vision said

He gestures at the door and stops.

"Captain Rogers wished to know when Mr. Stark was arriving." Vision said.

"Thank you. We'll be right down." Steve said.

"I'll . . . use the door. Oh, and apparently, he's brought a guest." Vision said.

"We know who it is?" Steve asked.

"The Secretary of State." Vision said walking out.

"What the hell is he there." Clint groaned.

"Ross never comes with good news." Natasha said.

________________________