12

Gloved fingers snapped twice, just inches from your face. You didn't flinch. Didn't even blink.

"That is so cool." Toby said in awe, taking his hand away from your face. You shrugged. Clockwork had dragged Jeff off into another room a while ago, leaving you with BEN and Toby. BEN had tried to scare you with his 'freaky face', composed of a freakish grin and blood oozing out of his eyes like tears. When the prank was met with no reaction, the two boys began a competition over who could scare you first. Ten minutes had gone by, Jeff was still with Clockwork, and you still hadn't flinched.

"Knock it off, you guys. It's not gonna work." You whined.

There was a sort of evil glint in Toby's eye. "Wait. There's one more thing I w-wanna try." His hand twitched and moved to his side. You heard the click of Ticci Toby's holster strap coming undone. In the next moment, too many things happened at once for your brain to proccess.

There were two loud thunks, and Ticci Toby had lost his balance and fallen onto his side. One of his hatchets was lying on the floor, and there was a kitchen knife embedded in the wall, inches from where Toby's head had been. BEN was looking over his shoulder, and you followed his line of sight, past the couch, to where Jeff was standing in the doorway between this room and the next. His hand was still extended forward from throwing the knife, and his eyes screamed murder.

Clockwork emerged from the room and boxed Jeff's ear. "Jeff you fuckin' idiot! What was that for?!" She hissed at the killer, who was holding a hand to his stricken ear.

Toby pushed himself up and straightened his goggles. "Yeah, man. It's not like I was actually gonna hit her. We were just messing around."

"Yeah." Jeff spat, "Because self-control is something we all have plenty of. Especially you, Toby. What if you ticked? What if you cut her head off?"

Ticci Toby took his hatchet in hand and stood up. "You tryin' to s-say somethin'?" His face twitched. It looked like Jeff had struck a nerve. The two killers were squaring off over the couch. It looked like another fight was about to break out.

You sighed and stood up. You were getting tired of this group constantly being at eachother's necks. "Jeff, chill. Nothing happened." You sidestepped the couch and put a hand on his shoulder. Jeff stared at you for a few minutes, weighing the situation. Finally he sighed through his nose and gave in. Toby put his hatchet back in his holster. Jeff brushed your hand off his shoulder and went to retrieve his knife from the wall.

BEN floated over to you. In a quiet voice that only you could hear, he said, "Got 'im all trained up. Nice." The ghost nudged you twice with his elbow and winked. You rolled your eyes.

"Well, Jeff's pissy attitude has bummed me out enough for one night. I'm out." BEN stretched his arms over his head and floated back to the TV. Everyone mumbled goodbyes to the ghost as he phased into the TV, causing a few seconds of flashing and static before it was dead once more.

"I think we're gonna head off too." Clockwork said. She headed for the door and motioned for Toby to follow. As she walked by Jeff, she grabbed the killer's arm and pulled him close. She whispered something to him, just loud enough for you to make it out. "And don't forget what we talked about. She's looking for you, Jeff. And she's mad."

Clockwork let go of Jeff's arm and walked out the door with Toby. Once again you and Jeff were alone. You picked up pizza boxes from the floor and took them to the kitchen. Jeff closed the door. For a while everything was quiet while you two cleaned up. Finally, your curiosity beat you.

"What was Clockwork talking about?" You asked. Jeff sat down on the couch, his back to you.

"Nothing." Jeff grumbled, rubbing his forehead. Looked like he was gonna hold out on you, as usual. You leaned against the back of the couch and folded your hands together.

"What was with you tonight anyways? You're even grumpier than usual. Aren't those guys your friends?"

Jeff sighed. "They are, but......we got lucky this time. BEN, Toby, Clockwork...they're all serial killers, yeah, but they're not that bad. Usually there are others who show up too. Laughing Jack, Hobo Heart, Eyeless Jack...They'd rip you to shreds in an instant."

You couldn't help but smirk a little. "Awww, I didn't know you cared do much, Jeffy."

"Shut up. I protect my investments." He snapped. That little bit of pink came to his cheeks like before. It was kindof cute, how defensive he got. So tsundere.

You slid onto the couch next to him. "So....Laughing Jack, Eyeless Jack....what makes them so dangerous?" You asked.

"They're monsters. Figuratively and literally." Jeff shook his head, "They'd gut you just for fun. Only killers like me can reason with 'em."

Good. He was talking. Now for your next move. "And this....'she' who's looking for you. Is she a monster too?"

Jeff tensed up. You could tell this was a particularly touchy subject. He hesitated for a long while before he answered, "No. She's human."

"Why's she after you?"

"We have...a history." Jeff grumbled, "And that's all I'm gonna say about it."

"....Was she your girlfriend?"

"No!!!" Jeff slammed his fist on the arm of the couch. He was getting pretty tired of all this girlfriend business, apparently. "Ugh, you've been spending too much time with Ben."

"Whaaaat? A girl who you have 'history' with, that you're reluctant to talk about, and is out to get you? You can't tell me it doesn't sound like it~" You teased, leaning towards him slightly and grinning evilly. "You know, I bet-"

Jeff put a finger to your lips, silencing you. He was trying hard to hide it, but the corners of his jagged smile had curled upwards, just slightly. He was grinning too. "Just...go to sleep."