27 [FINAL]

It was hard to tell exactly how the Slenderman felt about that. Surprise? Confusion? Anger? Who knew, his literally blank.

However, because of whatever emotion you created in the creature, its black tentacles hesitated to a halt. You stood there in limbo with it, knowing that at any moment the tentacles could move again. You gripped the fabric of Jeff's shirt and continued to glare defiantly at the Slenderman.

In the blink of an eye, Slenderman disappeared. The static was gone, and Jeff's tightly wound muscles relaxed. You and the creature had come to an understanding.

"How?" You heard Jane ask in a weak voice, "How did you.....?"

Suddenly the static was back. The explosive headaches seized Jeff and Jane. You gripped your knife, ready for a fight.

A black tendril wrapped around Jane's arm. Two more latched onto her other arm, and a third looped around her stomach. You watched as the tentacles began to drag her backwards towards the open doorframe of the hut.

"No!" Jane screamed, fighting with all her strength against the Slenderman's pull. She desperately reached out to you, every muscle in her body straining to accomplish the action. Your response was to wrap your arms around Jeff and watch coldly as she was pulled inch by inch towards her fate.

Jane dug her nails into the door frame and pulled against the slenderman. "You....you...." She half screamed, half growled at you, before losing her grip and flying out of the doorway with an ear piercing shriek. Her final cry was cut off in the middle and replaced by a familiar, dead silence. No static, so slenderman, not even a single leaf rustling overhead.

Jeff, relieved of Slenderman's pressure, turned his head to look at you. You could see the fear that had been clouding his eyes since you came to these woods give way to a look of amazement and adoration.

"One of these days you're gonna stop surprising me." He said with a chuckle, "You amazing, beautiful freak of nature."

He wrapped his arms around your waist and pressed his scarred lips against yours. Your first kiss since you'd been separated. You allowed yourself to melt into it like a hopeless romantic. You relished in the contact.

Your lips parted from his and you held eachother breathlessly for a long, warm moment.

"Alright," Jeff said, letting go of you and taking a step back, but not before brushing a lock of your hair behind your ear, "Let's get the fuck out of this creepy forest."

You grinned and nodded. Seeing him returning to his usual self brought butterflies to your stomach. The two of you gathered up the notes off the floor and then, hand in hand, combined them into a single stack.

You felt your stomach flip and your heart skip a beat, a sensation similar to accidentally skipping a step on the stairs. Then a blast of cool, humid air touched your skin and the sound of crickets reached your ears. This wasn't the slender realm, or the woods around the mental hospital. You were standing in a completely new forest.

"Where are we?" You asked, craning your neck to look up at the tops of the trees.

"Who knows? Could be any forest, anywhere in the world." Jeff replied. You felt his thumb run over the back of your hand and his shoulder lightly bump against yours. "I guess we'll have to find the nearest town to find out. And get new clothes, and food, and a new tent..."

You cut him off with a kiss on the corner of his long smile scar. "I missed you, fuckface." You said, beaming. Jeff grinned back. You were free again. You had no food, shelter, or warm clothing. Your feet were scraped and bleeding and your whole body was sore, but you were free, and you were with Jeff. Life had never been so perfect.