18

"What do you think?" Jeff asked, standing in the middle of the dark room. You'd finally arrived in the decided area, and Jeff had spent the day 'house hunting' while you got more supplies. Now it was the dead of night; the perfect time to move in.

"Not bad." You said, inspecting the dusty interior of the abandoned house, "It's smaller than the last one, but it'll do."

"At least it has more furniture." The killer pointed out. He sat down on one end of the ragged couch in the middle of the room. "I think I saw a bed upstairs...not sure if the mattress can be trusted, though."

"It's probably nasty, yeah." You took a seat on the couch. "I claim the couch for tonight."

"I'll take the chair then." Jeff looked over at the recliner in the corner. It had a few holes in it, but it was better than the floor. He yawned and got up to make his way over to his new bed. You stretched out across the couch and watched him with a small hint of a smile on your face.

The last few days had been...honestly the happiest of your life so far. Despite having settled into the idea of your weirdo on-the-lamb relationship, Jeff still got flustered incredibly easily. You'd had fun teasing him about that, but you also just enjoyed the closeness and his warmth. You'd wormed through his protective wall of sarcasm and bitterness, and while there was still plenty of that at his core, you felt closer to him than ever before. You could tell Jeff really cared about you, and needed you. And it was a nice feeling. He was a little gross, undeniably rough around the edges, and frankly psychotic...but you wanted to stay with him forever. Nothing could tear you apart.

...Nothing except the lights and sirens that woke you up three hours later. You sat up and saw Jeff bolt out of his chair. He signalled for you to get down, and you dropped to the floor. Jeff did the same and you listened carefully, trying to determine whether the cop cars were there for you or not. The answer didn't wait very long to present itself.

"JEFFREY WOODS." A man shouted through a megaphone, clearly audible even over the loud sirens, "COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP. WE HAVE THE PLACE SURROUNDED."

You looked at Jeff with hope that he might have some kind of plan. His brow was knit and he was biting his lower lip, trying to think. After a few moments he looked at you and shook his head; he had no ideas. You looked at him with perplexion as he started to stand up.

"What are you doing?" You whispered through clenched teeth, grabbing his wrist to stop him.

"Turning myself in."

"Are you nuts?!!" You looked at him with wide eyes. What the hell was he thinking?

"I don't have a choice." Jeff said grimly. He was putting on a brave face, but you could tell he was afraid. "If I don't go they could open fire. And if they open fire you might get shot." He looked up at the window, which was filled with flashing hues of red and blue. "Catching me is their priority. So once I'm out, make a break for the back door, or a window. Head back to the forest by the highway. I'll meet you there."

"But..." You gripped his wrist, still baffled and feeling completely overwhelmed, "How will you-"

"Don't worry about me." Jeff smiled reassuringly, "It won't be the first time I broke out of prison."

You forced a smile in return and nodded. Jeff pressed his lips against your forehead as a parting kiss, then stood up and headed for the door. You crawled behind a piece of furniture to hide yourself from view, and Jeff exited the house with his hands held above his head. You heard boots trampling against the pavement as several officers rushed to arrest and handcuff the killer. For a brief moment you considered rushing out to rescue him, but you knew Jeff's plan was your best option. You'd just have to put your faith in him for the time being.

You were just getting to your feet to run out the back door when you felt a hand grip your shoulder. You looked up to see a female officer with a long, black braid staring down at you with firm concern. "(Y/n) (L/n)?" She asked, and you nodded. The officer smiled, "Don't worry. We're here to rescue you."

Your mind seemed to have disconnected from your body. You remained silent and wide-eyed as officer said something into her radio and helped you stand up. She kept a good grip on you and walked you out the front door, where a team of paramedics swarmed to meet you. The bright lights, the loud noises, the rush of people...it all seemed so surreal to you, like a dream. Or a nightmare. As they walked you to the ambulance, asking you questions that you never heard, you looked over your shoulder and saw Jeff. He was handcuffed, with three officers taking him to the cop car. You also noticed little red laser-pointer dots on various points of his torso and head, meaning there were snipers in the surrounding buildings. The furious beating noises overhead informed you that there were helicopters overhead; whether they were with the police or the press, you had no idea, but there werw definitely reporters on the ground. For a second you made eye contact with Jeff, and in that second he lost his composure. Jeff strained against the police officers and shouted your name, which you could barely hear over the noise. His name was just on your lips when they shoved him into the back of the cop car, and you were forced into the back of the ambulance. The doors closed, and the whole chaotic scene went dead silent.

"(Y/n)? (Y/n), can you hear me?" A paramedic said to you, leaning close and studying your face.

"Jeff..." You mumbled, barely audibly. The look on his face had broken your heart. He was stoic in the face of snipers and arrest, but the minute he realized you hadn't escaped...You looked past the paramedic, at the windows in the doors of the ambulance. "Let me go."

"What was that?" The paramedic asked.

"Let me go." You said with conviction. You saw the paramedics tense up around you, but you didn't care. You needed to get out of this ambulance; you needed to meet Jeff in the forest by the highway. "Let. Me. GO!!"