20

Across the country in Oakview Mental Hospital, you were having a much less exciting time.

You lay in your bed, staring up at the panelled ceiling and trying to count all of the little misshapen dots. It was just like school, except without the dull droning of a teacher's lecture, and certainly no classmates you could talk to. There were only certain times of the day when you were allowed to leave your room; meals, group therapy, individual therapy, and recreation hour. That was it. Oakview was a rather nice facility, but the last few days had been so dull it was torture.

Countless people had come in and out to question you about your experiences with Jeff. Federal Agents and Reporters alike were hopeful that they could glean some valuable information about the serial killer by talking to you, and they all walked away disappointed. You remained tight-lipped about the whole situation; doing otherwise would betray Jeff. You two would have enough trouble to deal with after you escaped...whenever you escaped.

Speaking of which, you had expected Jeff to have come and broke you out by now. After all, his last escape had been fast as hell. So what was keeping him?

Your train of thought was interrupted by two sharp knocks at the door. "(Y/N), you have a visitor." A nurse announced. Your stomach fillled with dread as the doorknob turned. No doubt it was one of your parents, here to fuss and fret and then scold you. No doubt every second of their presence would be hell. Just the thought of it made you want to hurl yourself out the window.

However, when the nurse opened the door, it was not your mother or father who stepped in. It was none other than Officer Dewey.

The nurse backed out of the room and you sat up, staring at him in surprise. "Officer Dewey?" You spoke, confused as to why he was here. "Where are my parents?"

Officer Dewey was dressed in casual clothing, which threw you a little. You also could've sworn that his hair had gotten a little grayer. The man pulled up a chair and sat across from you, his eyes filled with concern and regret.

"Your parents couldn't come to see you today." Officer Dewey admitted, folding his hands together in his lap. "They had an important business trip to go on."

You scoffed. "Of course they did." You said bitterly and turned your gaze to the window. Even though you had definitely not been looking forward to seeing them, it did irk you a little that they couldn't even make the time to visit their daughter, after months of separation, in a freaking mental hospital. Of course, they never had time for you. Not when it mattered.

"Now, (y/n), your parents are very concerned for you...and you should be grateful that they set you up in such a nice facility..." Officer Dewey gestured to your room, sensing your anger and trying to appeal to your senses.

"I'll be more grateful if they get me out of it." You replied. You didn't care how 'nice' the place was. It was still a prison.

"You know they can't do that." Dewey countered with a soft sigh, "It's more apparent than ever how much you need help with your Condition, and now with Stockholm syndrome..."

"I can't have Stockholm syndrome because I wasn't kidnapped." You protested, throwing your arms up in the air. For weeks you'd been dealing with that diagnosis. For weeks everybody had been telling you that your relationship with Jeff was some kind of delusion. That you'd been brainwashed somehow. No one really understood. They didn't know Jeff like you did.

"You didn't have to be kidnapped. The instances where Jeff broke into your home were enough for him to leave his mark..."

You growled with frustration. "No, it wasn't! There was no 'mark'. He didn't do shit! I'm the one who chose to stick with him!!"

Officer Dewey leaned in. "Did you? Or did he make you think that?"

"I did! I held him at knifepoint with his own knife and we worked out a deal! Why won't you listen to me?" You seethed. No one listened. No one ever listened! One malfunction in your brain and everyone seems to think the whole thing is useless.

"Because I find it hard to believe that a (y/a)-year-old girl could singlehandedly disarm one of the nations most wanted criminals." Officer Dewey replied. You could tell he was trying hard to keep his cool. "(Y/n), I really think you should submit to a drug test...and a rapekit...We could gather valuable information on-"

That pushed you over the edge. "JEFF DID NOT RAPE ME!!!" You screamed. Officer Dewey backed up a bit. "Don't act like you know something I don't. You don't know shit!!"

Officer Dewey stood. "(Y/n), we are just trying to help you." He said, realizing you were as volatile as a ticking time bomb.

"If you were really trying to help me, you'd let me go." You growled and sharply pointed your finger at the door. "Now leave."

Officer Dewey hesitated, but you stood up and repeated yourself, with more force this time. "Leave."

Officer Dewey reluctantly left the room and you plopped onto your bed. You grabbed the pillow and smothered your face with it, to lessen the volume of the furious, primal scream you let out. How dare he insinuate...No, no God you didn't even want to think about it. No one seemed to think that you could take care of yourself. No one but Jeff ever had.

As you lie on your back, breathing hot air into the pillow, you felt a twinge of pain in your heart. You wanted to be free again, free to wander wherever you wanted and do whatever you pleased. But most of all, you wanted to see Jeff again. You wanted nothing more than to lie down next to him in the woods somewhere and fall asleep under the stars. You craved the sound of crickets and the feeling of his arms around you. You knew you had to be patient, but for the first time in your life you felt really, truly crazy.

Man, love sucked ass.