partners (1)

"Inez your partner will be..." Mrs. Solum picked up a popsicle stick.

"Adam Dooley."

  Inez looked at me and I could tell by the look on her face she was less than enthusiastic about her partner.

Adam wasn't the worst person ever, but there wasn't a lot going on in his head. He is a male bimbo a himbo.

He was very conventionally attractive, with blue eyes and light blonde hair with chiseled features.

He smiled at Inez "Awesome, you're smart right?" he raised his hand for a high five.

"I guess you could say that," Inez said dryly leaving him hanging.

Inez has been my best friend since the third grade. She offered me an Oreo and we became friends for life.

She is insanely book smart not so much street-smart. She has mousey brown hair that reaches just above her shoulders and deep brown eyes.

After Mrs. Solum somehow managed to randomly pick the worst pairs for this secret project she finally got to me.

She smiled "Well, that leaves Ophelia and Peter."
I looked across the room and locked eyes with him.

Peter Green, I can't say I know much about him. He has brown eyes and dirty blonde hair he's 5'10 possibly 5'11, and he's on the soccer team.

As he walked towards me he flashed me a quick smile before turning to Mrs. Solum whispering just loud enough for me to hear, "Mrs. S, can we please just pick our partners?"

Well isn't someone excited about having me as a partner?

"Peter the whole idea of having a random partner is to get you out of your comfort zone."

He sighed, turning to me, "Well I guess we have to be partners", "Is it that horrible?", "I would say so," he responded coldly.

I take back what I said I know everything I need to know about him he's a douche.

Mrs. Solem cleared her throat, "Now that we all have our partners, It's time I tell you all the anticipated project you are all doing. You must find a hidden gem here in Maine and write about it. You will have 4 weeks to complete this, which should be plenty of time, I expect each person in your pair to do equally as much work. This is also going to be your final here which is worth 40% of your grade. You do not want to get a bad grade on this."

I prioritize my grades above anything else I know it sounds unhealthy and sure maybe it is but it's how I determine my worth.

Whether he wants to or not I'm making sure we get 100 percent on the project.

"I'm gonna need your number," I said flatly

He smirked, "Listen I'm flattered you want my number and all but I don't put out that easy."

This guy is unbelievable.

"I need it for the project don't flatter yourself."

"No need to get rude now" he chuckled.

I ripped off a piece of paper and scribbled down my number handing it to him, "Here, I'm not gonna get a 50% on this project because my partner is a slacker, you are going to put effort into this if even if I have to force you to."

He sighed, "Fine".

I decided to go over to Inez's house after school after all her family is practically mine.

"Can you believe Adam the himbo is my partner life is unfair" she said.

"At least he isn't the asshole known as Peter Green,"

"I wished we had been partners." I couldn't agree more.