aftermath (8)

Ophelias Pov

I had a killer migraine, and my mouth was extremely dry. I groaned at the sunlight coming in through my window. 

I've never felt so miserable.

My dad called up from downstairs, "Ophelia, come downstairs right now."

I felt panic as I realized I told my dad I was going to be home around ten o'clock last night. I got home at half past 3 am.

I made my way downstairs. I saw my dad sitting at our dining room table with his arms crossed.

"Well look who is alive."

"Dad listen.." he cut me off raising his hand up, "No, you are the one who needs to listen. I know you didn't come home at 11 last night, now would you care to tell me where you had been."

I couldn't think of a good excuse, especially with my head pounding.

"Are you not gonna tell me?" 

I just looked down at the floor.

"Okay then. No phone until I think you've earned it back."

"Dad please you can't do that I need my phone" I groaned.

He just held out his hand. I put my phone in his hand and turned around to walk away when he said, "Also you're grounded, and don't even think about sneaking out."

I took a nap after all, it was a Saturday and I didn't have my phone. I had nothing better to do.

Once I woke up I went downstairs and made myself a snack. I heard my dad coming downstairs. I wanted to give him the silent treatment but I couldn't what I did last night was dumb.

"Oph, I've been thinking and I think I'm gonna give you the opportunity to earn your phone back." This piqued my interest.

"How so?"

"Well, a friend of mine from work really needs a babysitter-- he says his son is not responsible enough to take care of the kid."

I could tell where this was going.

"It's a paid job 15 dollars an hour, the kid is like 4 years old and all he's asking is for you to watch her throughout the weekends until he comes home."

"How long do I have to do this?"

"Until I can trust you. This will be good for you and keep you out of trouble on the weekends, you will start off tonight, and I'll drop you off at their house once the dad gets home he'll text me letting me know it's time to pick you up."

I had no other choice than to oblige. Either that or kiss my phone goodbye.