Hurt and comfort

"I won't accept it," Varain's professor said pushing the work away. Rain sees an image of Varain staying up to five am to finish the work, but then sleeping through multiple alarms and arriving at the university late to turn it in.

"But I finished it before the deadline, Professor." Varain says desperately. He knows he won't get full marks for the work but he hopes to talk the professor into at least partial marks. After all he was only an hour late turning it in. Rain knows this professor well, and knows he is strict. Varain has almost zero chance of changing his mind.

"Then do you remember how many days I gave you to submit it?" Varain answers one week and the professor continues, "by what time?"

"8:30 a.m." Varain answers.

"And what time is it now?" Varain looks at his watch but doesn't answer. "That's why I will not accept your assignment."

Varain starts to argue but the professor continues, "Your peers had the same amount of time as you. So why were they able to meet the deadline, but you couldn't? That is because you are irresponsible."

"Professor, I know that I'm at fault but may I ask for another chance?" Varain tries one more time. The professor sighs and tells him to go ask his seniors if he gave everyone one more chance how many chances would he have to give. The professor continues to lecture Varain and Rain can't help but feel sorry for him. Varain has never been lectured like this by a professor and in that moment it feels like the worst thing that has ever happened to him. When the professor tells him he should leave, Varain sadly gathers his assignment knowing that any more arguments will fall on deaf ears.

Outside the room Sky and Ple are waiting on him. Sky askes him how it went and Varain shakes his head sadly. Ple asks if he's okay.

"Hey, I'm fine."  Varain says with false cheer. "This simple matter won't effect me."

"Rain, if you're upset you can talk to me," Ple says putting a hand on his arm. Varain only moves her hand gently from his arm and tells both of them he is fine, he just needs to go home and sleep. Sky tells him to get home safely.

Varain doesn't really want to go home and he doesn't feel like sleeping. He feels as if the world is ending, like this is the worst day of his life. He doesn't know where to go.

"Go to the garage," Rain suggests. He knows that when he is feeling down P'Phayu is his comfort and he could be Varain's comfort as well. However he doesn't expect Varain to stand in front of the shop in the pouring rain, until P'Saifah brings him inside and take him to the room over the garage to wait for P'Phayu.

Varain doesn't even try to dry off, just sits dejectedly hugging his knees and replaying the words that the professor told him in his head over and over. Architecture has been his life long dream, but now he's wondering if he will be able to do this. This is only his first year, as the professor said, what if he isn't cut out for this field of study. What if he is simply not smart enough, not good enough. Maybe making it this far has only been luck. Maybe he should just give up.

Rain wants to comfort him, to tell him everyone has bad days like this, but Varain's negative thoughts are just too loud for him to get through at the moment. Rain is glad when P'Phayu comes in. P'Saifah must have called him for him to come so quickly.

P'Phayu kneels infront of Varain and opens his arms to him but Varain still seems uncertain until the senior tells him, "Come on, come here."

That breaks through the dam of Varain's emotions and he throws himself into P'Phayu's arms crying. P'Phayu whispers comforting words while Varain cries his fears. He screwed up, he doesn't know what to do anymore. P'Phayu lets him cry it out of his system while offering comfort.