His Arrival

Siargao is known for a lot of things. Its white sand beaches that stretched out as far as the eyes can see; the waves favored by both local and international surfers; the natural attractions that seemed to have been molded by God's hands themselves; and the sunsets.

It was dusk and it was one of Siargao's glorious sunsets where the skies turn from fiery orange, to soft pink, to a cool purple. It was during this same breathtaking sunset that Haein stumbled out of the tricycle, reeking of beer and cigarettes, in front of Angkan, a Balinese-inspired beachfront accommodation is the town of Pacifico.

For a while he stood, surveying the area with a pained expression in his face. It was the last place he imagined he would be, but at the same time, the only place he knew he could seek refuge to. The only place where I don't hold memories of her.

"Haein? Is that you?"

Turning, he saw a familiar kind face. He mustered a smile and approached the man who called him. "Tito Hyunwoo.", he said, as he let the man hug him. It has been years since he last saw his uncle, twenty years exactly, but the affection and familiarity he had for him as child remained.

"I didn't know you were coming! This is a surprise." His tone changed however when he had a closer look at his nephew. Patting his back, he beckoned him to walk. "This is as much your house as it is mine. Come."